Will Leopard run on my Mac mini?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AlphaTeam, Jun 20, 2007.

1. AlphaTeam macrumors regular

AlphaTeam

I JUST got a MacMini.
    Will this work on it?
    If so how much is the upgrade for such a thing?
    I'm more familiar with the Windows end of things. I know with Windows upgrading the OS over the old one is always a nightmare. A fresh install is always the best way. How is it with MacOS?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes. Apple is legally required in some places to support its computers for five years.

Few things in the World are as easy as upgrading a Mac operating system:

Insert the DVD with your new OS.
    Restart and boot from the DVD.
    Upgrade.
    Restart and boot from your hard drive.
    Get back to work.

You are not in Windows anymore.

3. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Mac OS upgrades are a very fluid experience. Gone are your days of troubleshooting all the driver compatibility issues and other problems that have cropped up just because you decided to upgrade to the "latest and greatest" OS.

Many people have success simply doing a regular Upgrade install. Of course you'll want to have a backup because no system is immune from problems that might crop up, and it would suck to lose your data. Some people will recommend an "Archive and Install" or an "Erase and Install." This decision is up to you. Archive and Install will move your old OS install to a folder called "Previous Systems," install a fresh untouched copy of the new OS, and then migrate over your user settings from the previous OS. The people who recommend Erase and Install tend to be the paranoid type who want to be sure that they're starting over with a perfectly clean and new install, but I doubt you'll need to do this.

Just remember: Always backup.

4. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I think I saw a screenshot of a build of Leopard which gave you the option of doing a Time Machine backup before the installation begins. Which is very swish indeed. Hopefully it is in the final version.

I imagine you will be fine. No one can be certain, but Mac OS X upgrades in the past have been very simple (as in idiot proof).

Edit: Have a lot at the screen at the bottom left: "Mac OS X can back up your existing system before installing using Time Machine".

5. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

I haven't seen that option yet in 9A465, but that's probably just because I've only done a Leopard install on a clean drive. That's definitely a neat feature.

6. AlphaTeam thread starter macrumors regular

AlphaTeam

What is the usual upgrade cost?
    I know Windows is pricey.

7. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

US$129 or UK£89

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

$129, $159 for 5 licenses

OSX upgrade isn't cheaper neither, especially if you follow each upgrade, apple upgrades their system triple the frequency of windows....:D

9. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

But then again, you don't have to fork out for upgrades. Try running Windows Vista on a PC from 1998 with a 266Mhz processor.

Tiger runs ok on 98 G3 iMac!

10. itsme92 Guest

It should work fine, but you may want to upgrade the memory to 1GB or more

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Meh...its horrible on a top-of-the-range '07 Alienware :)

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Its just plain horrible. I'm actually looking to sell this piece of crap VAIO with Vista Business.

13. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I'm a graphic intern at my school next year and they installed Vista Business on all of the computers. I have a Macbook, but my Photoshop CS ain't got nothing on their new CS3. :(