Will leopard ship in UB?

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
501
0
Ottawa, Canada
Of course Apple will make leopard available to PPC users, but will it ship seperately or with the Intel version? Or will they ship one package (a universal installer) that installs one universal OS, or one installer that decides which you need? I think the last is the most likely considering that many people will have both PPC and Intel computers to install on but won't want all the code for the other architecture.

Your thoughts?
 

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
11,966
375
funkychunkz said:
Of course Apple will make leopard available to PPC users, but will it ship seperately or with the Intel version? Or will they ship one package (a universal installer) that installs one universal OS, or one installer that decides which you need? I think the last is the most likely considering that many people will have both PPC and Intel computers to install on but won't want all the code for the other architecture.

Your thoughts?
Not a thought, it's fact. 10.5 will be Universal.
 

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
501
0
Ottawa, Canada
Do we also know how it will install? I haven't watched the keynote, and obviously wasn't at WWDC, were any other facts disclosed?
 

JoeKarame

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
134
0
funkychunkz said:
Do we also know how it will install? I haven't watched the keynote, and obviously wasn't at WWDC, were any other facts disclosed?
How do mean?

I'd imagine it'll install pretty much like all other Apple Universal software does...

Exactly the same as most of Apple's other software.
 

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
501
0
Ottawa, Canada
JoeKarame said:
How do mean?

I'd imagine it'll install pretty much like all other Apple Universal software does...

Exactly the same as most of Apple's other software.
As I said do people want an entire OS worth of another architecture's code? I was really asking how they would set up the disks: one PPC, one intel / dual layer DVD with both to install as one/ fits on two disks/ option to install only one etc.
 

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
1,285
0
29680
funkychunkz said:
As I said do people want an entire OS worth of another architecture's code? I was really asking how they would set up the disks: one PPC, one intel / dual layer DVD with both to install as one/ fits on two disks/ option to install only one etc.
I've *heard* that the Leopard Preview given out at WWDC is Universal and is only marginally larger (~1GB) than the standalone PPC/Intel Tiger installs. ;)
 

Teddy's

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
441
12
Toronto
Universal apps

I think Universal code means that code "ABC" works the same under PPC and Intel. There is no need to create different files like "A" for PPC and "B" for Intel.

So, it is one file one size for both. It would be like talking in a language that a Japanese and a French can understand.

That is what I understood from the keynote from WWDC'05.
 

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
5,699
287
Chicago, IL
Teddy's said:
I think Universal code means that code "ABC" works the same under PPC and Intel. There is no need to create different files like "A" for PPC and "B" for Intel.

So, it is one file one size for both. It would be like talking in a language that a Japanese and a French can understand.

That is what I understood from the keynote from WWDC'05.
That's exactly what UB is meant to be. It's one language for both processors. There will be no Intel-specific components or PPC-components that you need to choose from when installing.
 

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
501
0
Ottawa, Canada
Warbrain said:
That's exactly what UB is meant to be. It's one language for both processors. There will be no Intel-specific components or PPC-components that you need to choose from when installing.
While there may not be different files other than firmware, and a few other files like bootx (is blessing the same on intel?) there is additional code written in, not completely unlike language files. I think some code just works for both but other, especially deep rooted system files (mach. kernel and drivers, components). Monolingual actually can take out such extra code. After a certain numbers of layer I believe things can be written to be 'understood by both'. I was thinking apple might give you only what you need installed.