Will Leopard Work

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stanton119, Oct 8, 2007.

1. stanton119 macrumors newbie

I have a G4 Powerbook Titanium, 667mhz 640mb memory. Right now I run panther fine...

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You do not meet the PowerPC G4 867 MHz minimum requirement.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i guess that answers your question. if i were you, i'd stick with Panther

4. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I expect you'd be able to run Tiger pretty well too. Once Leopard arrives you'll probably be able to pick up a copy for a decent price

5. stanton119 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats a shame I was looking forward to it....

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My guess (very much a guess) is this...

There will be something like ... what's it called? Xpostfacto or something like that? There will be a tool that will allow you to install Leopard to that computer even though it doesn't meet requirements. It will run properly.

However, you won't have enough memory. My personal experience with a probably loosely comparable computer (iBook G4 / 800MHz) is that I was very impressed generally with Panther on 640MB and felt very comfortable. I never felt like I needed more memory. When I went to Tiger, I had to disable Dashboard and free up a lot of HD space to make it happy, until I went to 1.125 GB, at which point my iBook runs excellently on Tiger. I don't know how Leopard will do on that much memory, but I'm fairly certain that you'll have to turn off a number of features (e.g. Dashboard, perhaps Spotlight, Spaces, etc) to get Leopard to run pleasantly on that computer without more memory.

7. Zeromus macrumors member

Zeromus

I've read ways of getting round it, putting your powerbook into disk mode, mounting it on another G4 mac via firewire, running the install DVD from the other G4 and choosing your powerbook's hard drive as the target.

I think in the end they got it working, but it ran like a dog. I'd look to upgrade to Tiger for cheap when Leopard comes out.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Imaging would more then likely work as well. I'll give it a test on the 800 MHz Quicksilvers we have in my department.

When Leopard ships that is.

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well, even if you get it installed, i think it'd basically be unusable. and tiger is gonna run slower than panther also

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Unusable in what sense?

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, I think the data (surprising but true) is very clear about this. Once you deal with the memory issue, Tiger is definitely faster than Panther by 5-10%. When I killed dashboard and freed up space for Spotlight to do its thing on my iBook, even with 640MB, Tiger was clearly faster than Panther. Even though I'd killed Dashboard, this was still with additional features (most notably Spotlight) that weren't in Panther, so it was still a big improvement over using Panther.

AFAIK, Panther was similarly faster than Jaguar, etc.

So far, there isn't data that says that Leopard is actually faster than Tiger in this way, although it's suspected that the final release version will be.

It's weird, but true. As far as I can tell, it's because there is actually an optimization effort among the engineers in Cupertino.

12. stanton119 thread starter macrumors newbie