Will lightning connectors become the standard?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by aircanman, Nov 19, 2012.

1. aircanman macrumors 6502

Been quite a while since the iPhone 5 came out, yet the Apple store is still full of 30 pin dock connector products, will the manufacturers design lightning capable items? - If so, any sort of idea when?

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Most developers are going to start making products using Bluetooth and Airplay.

Lower end stuff will use Lightning ports.

3. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

Tbh airplay is a waste of time, rarely works properly for me.

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I won't buy another speaker without Bluetooth or Airplay. Though I am finding that Airplay performance is variable. I'm going to be sure to do my research and before getting my next speaker system.

May try a Jambox or Bluetooth Audyssey system next.

5. BoomstickMafia, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012

BoomstickMafia macrumors member

That's all good, but I'd still like to have a high end bedside docking station that will play music AND charge my iPhone. Absolutely loved my Sony dream station, I think that's what it is called anyway.

6. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

It's just there are so many amazing products which are 30 pin out there, I don't think we will see half of them changing to lightning, which is a massive shame.

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I read Sony's docks are pretty solid.

8. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

didnt JBL just announce two lightning speaker docks?

I dont think apple store's will stop selling 30pin accessories anytime soon. They are still selling ipad 2's with 30pin, ipod classic with 30pin and the iphone 4/4S. There are hundred's of millions of iOS devices out there that support the 30pin connector. Maybe we'll see a 30pin to lightning adapter released once more lightning stuff is available. That way your old 30pin devices can use new lightning accessories

now that apple had there workshops for accessory makers that want to develop lightning equipped devices i'm sure we'll start seeing a lot more.

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That is a point I don't see anyone else talking about.

Shutting out the millions of existing users isn't going to be a good move for most accessory manufacturers to make.

10. meistervu macrumors 65816

I have an old wireless router with both 5.8 and 2.4 Mhz bands. I notice that the 5.8 connection doesn't work reliably, but the 2.4 works great throughout the house, upstairs and downstairs. I have 2 Airplay set ups, one is just an Apple Airport connected to a pair of AudioEngine speakers upstairs, and a Denon receiver with Airplay downstairs. They work flawlessly

I have a friend who has a different router and he had trouble with Airplay unless he is within 15 ft of his wireless router.

So, my conclusion is that if you have a good wireless set up, Airplay is awesome.

The thing about Airplay is that I use it with all my Apple devices: laptop, iPad, iPhone. And when my friends come over, they have access to awesome speakers, not those tinny bluetooth speakers.

11. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

With 5ghz you'll see awesome speeds but the signal can't penetrate walls like 2.4ghz so speeds degrade quickly

Agreed. At launch though this adapter would only be good for using a lightning cable with an old 30pin device. Once we really start seeing a push for lightning stuff I feel someone will make the adapter

12. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

I am not really talking about the audio docks as such, some of the things like connections for cars etc. Bit of a pain not being able to use that.