iPad Will Lightning Micro USB Adapter sync to Superdrive work for iPad Air to play DVD's?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ET iPhone Home, Nov 30, 2013.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I was wondering if I purchased the "Lightning to Micro USB Adapter" from Apple will I be able to use my USB Superdrive to play DVD movies on my iPad Air?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I'm pretty sure no. Where would you get the driver? Apple want you to buy your content from iTunes not Amazon prime.

3. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Wouldn't I need to just download this app from iTunes?

DVD PLAYER APP

4. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

After reading the app description in the App Store, I think that app just works by streaming video FROM a computer, which is already doing the DVD reading. I don't *think* you could use the DVD drive straight to the iPad alone.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Not if you are planning on using the adaptor. As far as I can tell this requires you to have a Mac on the same wifi network. Sort of like reverse airplay I guess. You can read more from the app developer here. http://www.floatingcube.com/forums/list.php?6

6. hachiman macrumors regular

I think it's cheaper and easier if you already have the movie disc (that's why you wanted a superdrive to work with the iPad), you can just rip to a format that you could play on your iPad.

7. 007p macrumors 6502a

First off, that adapter is for charging and maybe syncing, I highly doubt it would allow any sort of proper data transfer - even a jailbreak tweak would have a hard time pulling that off.

Secondly, it just flat out wouldn't be possible if the drive requires power from the USB. The iPad can barely power some usb sticks let alone a dvd player....

Given how cheap storage is now, it would be FAR easier to rip the dvds and put them on your iPad. Believe me, you are much better off spending time finding out how to rip the dvds efficiently and easily than trying to figure out how to plug a dvd player in. Off the top of my head to even have a chance of it working you would need:

Jailbroken device + External power to power the drive + USB Camera adaptor + app to mount / read the drive + app that can navigator to and play the dvd

Its just not worth investing in...And not very portable and most likely noisy.

8. WillFisher macrumors 6502

WillFisher

I'm just gonna go straight in with a no, I don't think it'll work.

9. MyiBill macrumors 6502

The super drive has a full size usb and the lightning adapter is micro usb so it wouldn't even fit.

10. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I already had the Superdrive when I purchased my MBA 3 years ago. I was wondering and curious to know if the Superdrive would work with the iPA since I have both, and I keep my iPA on a night stand where I can use it as a video player alongside the Superdrive.

I know I can rip the movies using HB, but the process of waiting for it to rip, then syncing the iPA to iTunes to do the transfer is much longer than simply plugging the Superdrive to the iPA and playing the movie.

----------

You are right! I just noticed that. The lightning adapter is a micro usb as described (and named) and the Superdrive is full size USB. Thanks.

11. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

There is a full USB to lightening adaptor apple sells as part of the camera kit. I don't think it will work though.

12. csjoecho macrumors newbie

I think it can, but there is no one to write apps work in this way.

As I know, we can use the lightning to USB adapter to read SD card or USB Memory stick. That means the lightning port can not only for charging, but also able to work as a USB port.

However, if you want to use super drive, you need that super drive's driver (controller) to control/operate the hardware. In other words, we need some software (apps) that can control the super drive to read disc....

If any super drive company can develop their app in IOS, I sure iPad can use the drive.

13. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

Tried it at work, doesn't even power the SuperDrive using an iPad mini.