Will Lightroom 6 work smoothly for me on iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MarkusMaximus, Oct 4, 2015.

1. MarkusMaximus macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!
    I have scoured so many pages on google and I'm just as confused now as I was when i first started researching. Maybe over researching is bad lol.

I'm a photographer mainly only using Photoshop and Lightroom (Soon upgrading to Lightroom 6)

I am looking at purchasing my first iMac (From a laptop Windows user)
    iMac 5K retina 27" 3.5GHz with the basic 8MB RAM included & 2GB standard graphics card which comes with machine. Direct link to JB HIFI site below:
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers...imac-with-retina-5k-display-27-3-5ghz/630188/

My main question is, will this machine be sufficient enough to run Lightroom 6, has anybody used this combination extensively and what are your thoughts?
    I'm aware I can purchase an i7 through the Apple site, but after reading several forums the i5 is enough but upgrade at least to 16GB of RAM etc.

I'm worried Lightroom 6 will be very slow and jittery etc. If this makes sense?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Otherwise I will build a PC tower lol

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Yes and likely better than a PC. The machine should be fine, to get the best performance get an SSD and get 2 external HD's. One EHD for your backup HD and the second as storage for your data. Also plan on getting AppleCare which will extend the warranty to 3 years and provide 3 years of phone support.

For photography work an i7 is not necessary and you can easily upgrade RAM yourself in less than 10 minutes with no tools. If you do upgrade the RAM, buy it from OWC (www.macsales.com) to get the best quality and reliable RAM.

Also, welcome to the light side.

3. MarkusMaximus thread starter macrumors newbie

HAHA thanks for your reply, I haven't converted yet. I have been trying to research as much as I can. Unfortunately have seen too many video's/threads showing bad personal reviews from people around the world.
    Do you use Lightroom yourself rkaufmann87?

4. GoldenDust Suspended

GoldenDust

Hello, Markus.

I have a Macbook Retina Display Pro 15.4" with 16gb of RAM, 512 SSD, intel i7 and R9 m370x 2GB of vram. I use Adobe Lightroom and it works fluidly on my Macbook Pro; however, I would love to have a 5k display for my photography. I was considering selling my Macbook and buying the 5K display. I believe the 5K will handle your photography and lightroom 6 very, VERY well.

5. MarkusMaximus thread starter macrumors newbie

Appreciate all comments thus far. I think most of the problems I have read so far from people, are coming from the 5K users. Laggy etc.