Will Lion allow a full clean install - how?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrMister111, Jun 8, 2011.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Now we know Lion will be Mac store only and be downloaded, how will a full clean install work?

I bought my iMac in 2007, it came with Leopard, I upgraded to Snow Leopard, and used the disk to do a complete clean install.

I would like to do this with Lion, how if its on the iMac HDD will it allow a full clean install? does this mean we can never do a full clean install again?

cheers

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

So do the current developer builds allow for an Upgrade only?

Think it might change upon official release? Hope so.

4. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

Man I wish I don't have to make a clean install, it would be great if you could upgrade to Lion just like with any other app in the App Store, just hit download, get the new features and still have all your settings and files on it :) I hate backing up and putting everything back in its place.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I think that's exactly how it will work by default.

6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Developer builds are this way by default; but you have the option of doing a clean install as well.

7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

And I'm willing to bet that Apple will provide an even easier method to create a boot disk when Lion is released. It only makes sense.

8. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

I always do a clean install.

I prefer to have a fresh smell of a new OS. Its like spring cleaning for my HDD.

9. DerfBWH macrumors regular

Totally agree. Whatever I do, I'll make sure that I obtain Lion in a way that allows me to boot from disc and perform a clean install, even if Apple won't support me in that.

10. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Yeah same here... there's no 'leftovers' from the previous install which may include conflicts or whatnot. I learnt this from experience!

11. Dias macrumors 6502

It will create you a "recovery partition" (accessible with Alt during bootup). From there, you can install Lion from 0, it will be downloaded from Apple servers (it's buggy right now, but that's the idea).

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is also a complete waste of time. After I do an upgrade, my computer is ready for me to get to work. After your clean install, you have maybe hours to to restore your computer to the point where you are once again productive.