Will Lion work on my first gen mac mini

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by miTunes75, Aug 5, 2011.

1. miTunes75 macrumors 6502

Hey folks:

What I currently have is a mac mini running 10.6.8 with a 1.66ghz intel core duo processor and 2gb ram. I know the specifications of lion state: Your Mac must have an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor to run Lion. After reading that you're probably thinking, "yeah idiot, you obviously don't have that type of processor, so why are you asking questions". The reason why is for example: I ran tiger on this thing forever and did a quick upgrade to snow leopard without purchasing leopard first. I just did the $30 upgrade and it was done, although the website stated differently. So, I'm just making sure in order to have Lion, I didn't have to run out and buy a whole new mini. What I have now runs great for what I do and I have no problems with it the last 6 years I have had it.

Does anyone know if Lion will work or am I stuck till I buy a new terminal (which won't be for a long time).

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You have to upgrade the CPU in it and do a few other hacks before Lion will work properly. Upgrading the CPU isn't very easy, but it can be done. Here's a good guide that'll help you decide if you want to go through with it or not. http://www.o0o.it/mini/

3. miTunes75 thread starter macrumors 6502

O NO! hmmmm....I don't open my mac up for anything unless I really have to. (clean it out once a year....that's about it). So, sounds like I'm saving up an extra $600 over the next quarter or two - lol

4. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Yep, you're going to have to buy a new Mac if you want to upgrade to Lion.