Will Logic Express work well on MBP?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Osprey, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Osprey macrumors 6502

I want to buy my husband a new MBP for him to work with Logic Express. Will the Logic Express well on the MBP? Should I upgrade to the 2.6 with the 7200 hard drive? Any help or advice will be appreciated!

2. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I run Logic Studio 8 on a Core Duo MacBook with 2GB's RAM just fine, any MBP will run Logic Express with ease, there's no real need to fork out on the faster processor speed and internal HD, an external 7200RPM drive is a must when recording audio though.

3. Osprey thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice. I don't know anything about Logic Pro or recording, but it is nice to know that I don't need to buy the faster processor. It is always nice when you can save a few bucks.

4. SigmundFraud macrumors member

In my experience this is desirable but not a must. Modern SATA 5400 drives deliver pretty good performance. Admittedly I use a lot of midi and limited audio tracks, but have run several simultaneous 24/48 tracks without any problems at all. I suspect that I could push this further. So I think the 5400 drive in the MBP would be just fine for day to day work, but an external 7200 drive would be handy if your husband wanted to do lots of simultaneous tracks, especially in higher resolution audio.

5. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

That is true about the 5200 drives, but in reality an external firewire drive is pretty much the standard, so if he plans on using lots and lots of tracks he will be better off using an external anyway. In many senses the MBP is actually overkill, you could do fine with a macbook though the MBP is certainly better for it. I'm sure your husband will be very pleased!