Will mac ever have a Blue-Ray drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scott:mac, Feb 10, 2008.

1. scott:mac macrumors regular

Do you reckon Macs will ever have a blu-ray drive, will it be any good? and do you think macs will have more gaming options available (Blu-ray) i think it is a good idea, and i think Apple should bring oura gaming computer.

Scott
    Self Confessed Expert.
    :apple:

2. elmo151 Guest

I'd say yes; but, it will take a few years for the cost to get low enough to include in a mac. I'd guess it will be available first as a firewire/usb external device.

I have a sony Blu-Ray device hooked up to my TV. More trouble than it's worth at this point.

3. scott:mac thread starter macrumors regular

I bet as they do that theyll introduce new graphics cards for mac.
    As the graphics and look of mac is gradually increasing.
    Gaming machine in no time.

Scott
    Self Confessed Expert.

4. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

When slim slot-load blu-ray drives are affordable. Hopefully we'll have an HDCP compliant ACD as well. Blu-ray doesn't have much to do with gaming at the moment. Current single games rarely fill a DVD. Give it another few years.

5. scott:mac thread starter macrumors regular

What you mean?
    All PS3 games are Blu-Ray Aren't they?
    Or even a HD DVD player sooner!

Scott
    Self Confessed Expert.

6. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

If you HAVE to have a Blu-Ray drive, then FastMac.com sells drives that are compatiable with almost every Mac. They have tray-load drives for PowerMacs/MacPros and slot-load drives for PowerBooks/MacBooks. The drives are pricey at $530 bucks. After that you will need a copy of Toast 7 or 8 to take advantage of Blu-Ray because the built-in tools don't. Finally, DVD player can't play Blu-Ray movies so all you can do is create your own HD video disc and data backups. Blu-Ray just isn't an option until Apple releases Applications to support it.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If His Jobsness trips and hits his head during a Stevenote, then he'll think about gaming on the Mac. It. Isn't. Going. To. Happen. Otherwise. Not for a long time. Apple doesn't care because it's not their demographic.

8. antibact1 macrumors 6502

Never in the history of the whole universe will a Mac have a Bluray drive - EVER!

9. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

I was looking at Blu ray and HD devices to hook up to my tv. Went for HD DVD player, only to find it was hd upscaling so would not play HD DVDs, was not a happy bunny