Will Mac OSX let me.... (partitions and installing OSX) *UDPATE*

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iMJustAGuy, Apr 3, 2011.

1. iMJustAGuy, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I have been having some serious hang ups on my i5 iMac and I have no idea why! Clean system, don't download much, and I keep it very clean. Over the past month it hangs up randomly while working in Safari, iTunes, etc.... A couple times an hour.

In any event, I know I just want to start fresh but I need my Videos, Pics, and Music. If you've read this thread by me, you know that I can't back up to my external.

Can I partition my HDD for around 150GB and then do I a clean wipe of OSX, copy my files back to the clean install and then un-partition the drive?

2. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

Sure...

Yeah, you should be able to do that. In steps, this is what I would do:

Partition Drive
    Install OS X on the new partition
    Move your files over to the new OS
    Backup the new partition (to see if it works)
    Finally, delete the old partition.

Now, this is risky, and something could go wrong. But that's how I'd do it.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Boy, I'd get that backup sorted first unless you're brave, or don't have much to lose.

I've been plagued by the 36 error myself; it's simply that the machine can't write to a disk and throws up its hands. In my case it is because of a funky network setup I have, which an airport necessarily behind a uverse router.

See if you can connect the drive another way; maybe another box for it (I have bare SATA cables around for that purpose). Or see if it works on another Mac. Then once you've got the external going backup. Then move to reformatting.

You could also try created a new user and boot into that in safe mode and give the iMac a workout. If it still misbehaves, it might indicate a hardware issue.

Rob

4. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

"In any event, I know I just want to start fresh but I need my Videos, Pics, and Music. If you've read this thread by me, you know that I can't back up to my external."

I don't see why you can't back up files externally.

There may be a problem with a particular drive you're already using, but in that case, get ANOTHER drive and "start fresh".

Here's what I'd suggest (a low-cost solution that should work):
    1. Get one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+sata+dock&x=0&y=0
    (many items shown, they all pretty much do the same, get one that's cheap)

2. Get a BARE hard drive from the vendor of your choice (I happen to like Seagate drives from newegg.com)

3. Get the FREE CarbonCopyCloner:
    http://bombich.com/

Once you have the drive and the dock, do this:
    1. Put the drive in the dock.
    2. Connect the dock to the Mac via USB and power it up
    3. Drive will almost certainly need to be initialized - use Disk Utility to do the job.
    4. During initialization, you might want to partition the external -- that's up to you
    5. Once the drive is initialized and mounted on the desktop, launch CCC
    6. Select your internal drive as the "source volume" and the docked drive (or appropriate partition on that drive) as your "target".
    7. Enter your password and let CCC do its thing.

My prediction:
    This WILL work for you and you WILL then have a copy of everything that's on your internal drive.

From there, you can do what you need to do to repair the internal drive (such as re-initialize it and restore your data from the CCC backup drive).

TIP:
    You CAN boot from the docked drive:
    a. Select "Restart"
    b. Hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN
    c. The "startup manager" will appear
    d. Click on the docked drive one time to select it, and hit the Return key

5. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

^ I've found out that it's not an issue with the external drive, it's my Mac. I created a partition and it still happened when trying to copy from partition A to partition B! Unbelievable! :eek:

6. robgendreau macrumors 68040

So the problem now is that you can't copy FROM your boot volume to anything? External volume or internal volume? or thumbdrive?

7. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

With certain but non-related files. Say it's a video that's not exporting, if I copy the file and try to past the copy right beside it on the desktop, it will say the same thing! :eek: I don't know what the deal is but I am PRAYING a reinstall of Snow Leopard will fix it because my warrenty (standard one year) JUST EXPIRED LAST MONTH! :eek::mad::(

8. iMJustAGuy, Apr 5, 2011

iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

UPDATE!

Guess what!!! I was going to ZShare to upload a few of my purchased iTunes videos that weren't copying because of the error and The uploads stop at the same point were the copy process for certain files fails on my mac!!!! So is my computer somehow corrupting some files??? It's not just images, or just music, or just videos... It's all random.... what is going on!! So my Mac isn't having a problem copying per-say, it can't copy them because there is a problem with them?

That said though, my computer has been randomly locking up lately and freezing with the spinning wheel during random tasks, iTunes, Safari, etc... that's the entire reason why I started backing up my media because I wanted to re-install SL and then I found out about this... are they related?

9. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Step 1: back up your Mac.
    Step 2: see step 1.

With Time Machine and the low cost of USB drives, there is no excuse not to have everything backed up at all times. Then you wouldn't have to panic and scream about it in the forums because you'd have backups of all your stuff and having a file or two corrupted would be a minor inconvenience. Perhaps the permissions on the files are mixed up. Pick the parent folder. Right click and pick "show info" then scroll all the way down to "sharing and permissions" and make sure your account has read and write access and pick "apply to enclosed items" and wait for the process to complete then try the copy again.

At some point, I suggest you use disk utility to verify Macintosh HD. BTW, disk utility's repair permissions won't help in this instance because that only looks at OS X files. But whatever you do find the time to back up your stuff. And no, OS X doesn't go around corrupting files. OSX uses HFS which is a journaling filesystem and is very robust. I suggest you skip the problem files and get the rest of the stuff copied. If it turns out to be 2 or 3 mp3 files we are talking about 2 or 3 bucks are we not?

10. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

With the exception of 5 iTunes videos purchased from the store, I do have everything backed up. The issue is that this shouldn't be happening. I don't know why this is happening or what to do from here.

PS: Thanks for the help, but don't be an ass. It's nature to be frustrated in my situation.

11. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

looking at the posts in both of your threads, it sounds like the files are corrupted on the source disc. do the files play? Do they play all the way through, or do they get to some point and die?

If the error is on the source disc and you don't have old backups of the files, you're pretty much hosed. you might be able to send the drive out for recovery, but the cost would be many times the cost to just repurchase a few videos.

12. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

What isn't natural is freaking out over 5 videos that iTunes would most likely re-authorize you to download if you ask nicely. Have you tried syncing said movies to an iPod/iPhone?

If you've tried multiple ways to get stuff off, it sounds like the files are hosed. Wipe your drive, start fresh.

Backup your stuff, amigo. Lesson learned. While you're at it, don't be a prick to people who are trying to help you out.

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Haha... OP, you were asking for advice, you didn't take it, the situation got worse, the advice was repeated to you and you had a go at them helping you.

Just in case you didn't get it: TURN ON TIME MACHINE!!!

14. palmharbor macrumors 6502

First try this

Google: "applejack" its a free utility from USC.
    download it. Install it.
    after it is installed: restart and hold down the s key.
    after it stops typing
    then write:
    applejack AUTO restart
    exactly like this, exactly.
    then go get a cup of coffee and come back in 10 minutes.
    It fixes most issues for the mac...and its free.

15. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Target Drive Mode

Along with backing up which has been discussed already, you can try accessing the files from a friend's Mac using target drive mode. Good luck and be nice.

16. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

You have no idea of my situation. I have 5 remaining that I really want. I had about 120 gigs (pics, home movies, iTunes library (apps, music, TV shows, movies, and music videos)) to back up and every 2-3 minutes that error would pop up on a random file, halting the process so I then had to go sacrifice that file and restart the transfer clicking to not replace files - wash, rinse, repeat, etc. It took me around 6 hours to complete. Thanks again for your help.

17. iMJustAGuy, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

iMJustAGuy

Thanks for the help. I have deleted and reformatted my HD with a clean install so do you still think that is necessary... I *think* I am still having the hang-up issue but I can't really tell yet. As for the copying problem, well I deleted all the files that I encountered the errors with so I won't know if that is still an issue. I have no idea how all of those (random) files "corrupted".

(And why does everyone think I'm being mean? I NEVER have issues with people in this forum.)

18. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

Where is the shocking news? I am disappointed :mad:

19. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Isn't "Dont be an ass" sort of a mean thing to say? When you edit the title of a thread to add "SHOCKING NEWS" in all caps and we come into the thread to find Apple isn't being acquired by Microsoft, no reactor has melted down, but rather you've found a handful of corrupted files, the first response is to try to get you to calm down. How is asking somebody to put things in perspective and calm down being an ass? My intent wasn't to be mean and I hope you get your stuff back but my advice about calming down still stands.

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I know. I thought the same thing. I'm shocked there is no shocking news.

21. iMJustAGuy, Apr 6, 2011

iMJustAGuy

If you're not going to provide a relevant and constructive conversation then maybe you should post somewhere else.

Just in case you didn't get it, the files that are "corrupted" won't backup copy, upload or anything.

Further, I tried opening one of my home HD movies up in Quicktime and and re-saving it as a different file and that didn't work.

Thank you! Will give it a try.