Will Macbook 12 inch (M3) cover my needs?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lasniko, Mar 15, 2017.

1. lasniko macrumors member

Hi there,

I would like your advise.

I am thinking to buy a new MacBook and I was thinking to choose MacBook 12 inch 2016 (M3).

1) My work is mostly coding, typical browsing, emailing, Word, Excel etc (office work).

2) Not so often I use iMovie in order to edit simple videos.

3) My hobby is photography and I use Lightroom and Photoshop (simple use).

4) Sometimes I use InDesign as well.

Do you believe that MacBook 12inch with the M3 processor will cover my needs?

Thank you

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68020

SteveJUAE

I would say yes but question on coding if you require multiple VM ? and like your other workflow I presume your excel files are also modest

3. andy9l macrumors 68000

Also just bear in mind the MacBooks are expected to be updated in the next few weeks. Of course, this isn't guaranteed.

4. Fravin macrumors regular

Fravin

I do have one of these 2016 m3 MacBooks.

My work is basically CCC and I can work with 2 or 3 apps open and Spark in background. It's not a fast machine, does not expect a blazing system. It can handle everything you thrown it.

I've used to edit some videos in FCP with no issues. Actually I'm very surprised with it. You should take care with high temperatures, that's my only complain.

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Yes but don't pay retail price. New models are on the way. Either wait for a 2017, or get a 2016 used.

6. lasniko thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your answers.

I will wait for the upgrades (hopefully).

7. bill-p macrumors 68000

Everything else is fine except for Lightroom. Lightroom will run very slow.

You'll want m5/m7 to help with the slowness, but ideally, you should consider switching to Capture One. If your camera is Sony-branded, then I think you can get by with Capture One Express.

8. lasniko thread starter macrumors member

I really like Lightroom but the price of the M5/M7 MacBook is beyond my financial status I guess I can have a look at used/refurbished models.

9. Fravin macrumors regular

Fravin

Try the Luminar App. It's not too expensive and deliver terrific results. Check it out:

https://macphun.com/luminar

10. andy9l macrumors 68000

To be honest, looking at this thread again - it really sounds like you're looking for a bang for buck deal. If photography is your hobby, you want a machine that will definitely handle your needs without you having to make silly compromises.

So, if you want something that will handle your needs now and for another couple of years - I would suggest looking at a refurbished 13" Pro.

More power, less money - perfect for your situation. Of course, the Pro doesn't have the aesthetics of the 12", but it's still a nice piece of kit.

In the U.K., the 2016 base MBP (without TouchBar) is selling for £1,179 refurbed (from Apple directly), which is actually cheaper than the base M3 12" you're looking at (£1,249 in U.K.). It provides quite a lot more for your money in terms of power and is also a more recent Mac.

Food for thought, at least. It's what I would do if I were in your position.

11. lasniko thread starter macrumors member

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your comment. I was thinking of this option too. I will have a look.

12. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Apple has a 14 day return policy.

I highly recommend you buy a 12" MacBook today, bring it home, load it up, and use it for a week. If the programs you run in the way you like to run them aren't satisfactory, return it. We test drive cars before we buy them, you can test drive a MacBook too.

BJ

13. DaMax85 macrumors member

Exactly. I did the same thing. For me, the rMB has been more than enough.

14. Treyhunna macrumors regular

Treyhunna

15. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01