Will Macbook GPUs ever become good relative to the OS they're on?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scaramoosh, Nov 8, 2015.

1. scaramoosh macrumors 6502

The iPhone has a powerful GPU relative to IOS and the same with the iPad, but Macbooks have always been terrible. The Intel 6100 cannot do anything, it struggles playing Dota 2 which is a basic Source engine game, so forget playing anything really. I know people say "they're not for gaming" and that would be fine if there were other options, but there aren't. If Apple want me to become a Mac user, I want the ability to play games when I'm bored, I do all the time on Windows.

I know there is a trade off with heat and battery, but if there is anyone who can do it, Apple can. The £2000 Macbook pro proves it can happen, especially since you can switch between Intels and AMDs depending on what you're using it for. However it just isn't worth £2000 for that privilege, every Macbook should have a good GPU inside it like every iPad and iPhone does, especially since the competition on Windows can do it for much less.

I just wish'd Macbooks would get to that point, but I have a feeling they wont ever get there until Intel start upping their game and produce something good for one. However I have a feeling we'll probably see the switch to ARM chips before that happens.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple has never really been interested in the gaming sector, and the GPUs they select is for decent performance for most other apps. There is a a dGPU option for the 15" rMBP which should help you out. Overall its not that Apple can't do it, but rather Apple chose not to do it.

3. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

The GPUs that Apple selects are there to support their creative apps (FCPX, Photos), 4K video viewing and for off-loading the CPU wherever possible. They will also support casual gaming, but if gaming is your thing, a Mac won't be.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Sounds like Macs just aren't for you. Apple hasn't shown much of an interest in gaming outside of iOS.

5. yeris macrumors newbie

yeris

I don't understand when people say that they can't game on their macbook pro without a dGPU.
    I can play many non casual games on mine.

6. leman macrumors 604

In the last year or so, Apple has invested substantial effort to turn OS X into a attractive platform for game development. The tools they offer in 10.11 rival what DirectX developers have on Windows, and are even superior in certain areas. That said, Apple is not targeting the latest and greatest in gaming industry. The hardware is more than enough to run games like Dota 2 and new technologies like Metal make implementing high-performance graphics for such games a breeze. There are still some critical issues to be solved, but today, gaming on OS X looks much better than it ever was.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps their expectations are different then yours. I don't game so I can't say. Personally, I'd not want to attempt to play some FPS type games on an iGPU Mac but that's just me .