Will MacBook Pro solve my problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reminisce32, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Reminisce32 macrumors regular

Reminisce32

There's basically two things that I need to work on my computer for my business.

1. PowerDirector (video editing software)
    2. Happauge HD PVR (hardware) and TotalMedia Theatre 5 - ArcSoft (software)

Will I be able to run these two things exceptionally on a MAC or am I better off just sticking with a PC?

Every PC I've tried ends up overheating, freezing, software crashes, etc.

I'm currently running a HP TouchSmart TM2 with Intel Core i5 CPU @ 1.33 GHz with 4GB of RAM and having problems with it running these softwares.

Long story short, will a MAC run these softwares better with me using bootcamp or something?

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

The software should list some sort of recommended system requirements. I would start from there.

3. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

If you're buying a Mac just to run Windows, then you're better off buying a high end PC that can handle those software. Your current machine is underpowered.

4. Reminisce32 thread starter macrumors regular

Reminisce32

How much power do you think that I need?

5. neal5 macrumors newbie

6. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

The reason your machine chokes is because its an under powered laptop. The minimum requirement for PowerDirector alone is a Intel Core i7 Quad Core with 6GB ram minimum. (http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultimate-suite/specs_en_US.html)

If you want to work with professional video editing software for Windows I would suggest a desktop as a laptop will overheat whether it is underpowered or not.

If you want a PC, pick up an Intel Core i7 Quad Core processor and max out the ram where possible (8gb+) from Dell or HP, etc.

If you want to go the Mac route, take a look at the iMac and upgrade to aftermarket ram of 16GB. Take a look at the 21" iMac if you don't care for the higher resolution screen of the 27" iMac.