Will macbook + SSD crash if I select sleep from apple menu?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sarah.kho, Jan 4, 2011.

1. sarah.kho macrumors member

Hi,

I ma not sure but almost in all places I read that macbook + sandforce SSDs crash if they go to sleep due to being idle.

Is that the only case or selecting sleep from apple menu will cause the same effect.

Thanks.

2. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Not the case at all! I have a Vertex 2, and I put it to sleep/it goes to sleep all the time. I put it to sleep through the Apple menu a lot as well. It has crashed during any instances of sleep for me.

It does however, crash if it is forced to hibernate -such as when the battery completely dies. That's only happened to me once in 4 months, though.

3. sab165 macrumors member

sab165

I have a Mushkin SSD that is sandforce powered and I have yet to have any trouble with it going to sleep. I have read where a few people with OCZ drives were experiencing this, but it seems to be a firmware issue. I also have not had any problems with mine hibernating, I ran the battery down Friday and left my MBP unplugged until Sunday. It booted up right where I left off Friday. In any case save all of your work and just try it out, if it crashes then you'll know for future reference.

4. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

The same thing happens to me, crash happens when the battery dies. But my question is, does the battery calibration still work, if it crashes?