Will MacBooks get backlit keyboards soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TSE, Feb 2, 2008.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

2. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

3. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Would be nice, but it'd drive up the price which wouldn't be so nice :(

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I doubt the manufacturing price of the back lit keyboard is significant. I believe the reason why it'll never happen is because it's a [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value-based_pricing]Value-based pricing[/URL] feature that's used to differentiate their high end models from their low end models. It's the same reason why the luxury version of a car has 6 cup holders instead of 2. The extra cup holders don't cost anything at all, but it's a feature that people are willing to pay more for as part of the package that gets sold as the high end model.

5. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

I think it would cost them next to nothing. Virtually all cell phones since 1990 have backlit number pads. This is not a hard or expensive thing to do.

But to answer your question no. For the very same reason they took out the dedicated graphics card and matte screen in the move from iBook to Macbook, the pennies extra-to-make backlit keyboard is reserved for those willing to pay $700 more for a "pro" machine.

It would be very nice to have a backlit keyboard, but for people who don't even look at it when typing it doesn't matter whether it's light or dark.

6. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple put the new MBA keyboard on all their notebooks. It makes sense from a production point of view.

Then, the higher-end models simply get the backlight added (but the keys themselves are all the same, ie. their markings are translucent).

7. Fezzasus macrumors regular

No. There needs to be some features to make people buy the pro model.

8. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

im going to go with everybody else and say no. its one of those extra things that not very many companies do, and it would more then likely drive the cost of the laptop up.

9. Rogzilla macrumors regular

You know, I understand WHY everyone is saying no...but er...I don't agree with it. Do you really think that the illuminated keyboard is the reason people are buying the Pro model? It isn't the larger screen, faster processor, more powerful graphic power? :p

I DO think it will happen, as I suspect it will be part of the "greening" up of the MacBook. When the MacBooks go aluminum, it will gain the black keyboard. I bet they will find other ways to integrate the black from the new iMacs as well. So why not bring in illuminated keys? The only reason they wont is if they keep white keys like the Bluetooth Keyboard.

The MacBook Pros still have plenty of things that will get them a premium. I think Apple is pretty interested in creating a unified product line.

10. kabunaru Guest

11. akm3 macrumors 68020

I'm the shallowest person ever, but for me, the backlit keys is a huge reason I don't want a normal MB. I *also* value the dedicated graphics card, but the ability to take my shiny new MBP to work and show it off to my Windows buddies most of whom have never seen a Mac and have the keyboard backlight and they all go 'Uuuuuuu' is worth extra money to me.

It just looks so cool.

Like I said, I'm shallow.

12. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

You pay to play my friends. You want premium features, you pay a premium price.