Will " MacDrive" actually convert files and app's or....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fishtalk, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Fishtalk, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

Fishtalk macrumors regular

.... does it only convert them while its up and running?
    I'd like to recuperate my Files, + my iphoto libary+ my Itunes music from my
    Mac formatted ext.HHD... Wondering IF I could use the 5 day free trial to transfer all my stuff + a few Mac apps, (Grafic converter, Photoshop etc.) to my PC for good....Or will it only work IF I have MacDrive Running. I'm waiting to get enough $$ to buy a new Mac and would like to keep my ext.HHD "as is" so I can just plug it in to the " new" Mac when the time comes. So I don't want to reformat the ext.HHD.
    Mac "was" PPC Panther and PC "is" XP pro
    ( PS. any secure FREE MacDrive sites out there ?)
    Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

MacDrive allows a PC to read an HFS+ formatted drive. That's it. It does not allow Mac OS applications to run on Windows. To the best of my knowledge there is nothing out there that does that. You cannot "convert an app".

3. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Ok forget about the Apps.... would I be able to transfer my.doc files, JPEG photos from my iPhoto libary and my MP3's from my iTunes Libary.... then still be able to access them without MacDrive ?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

All that MacDrive does is provide drivers for windows to read/write to an HFS+ volume.

If you used MacDrive and copied the files to a FAT or NTFS volume, you'll no longer need MacDrive to access those copied files. Without MacDrive you'll not be able to read your HFS+ drive but any copied files will not need it.

Basically to put it in the simplest terms, MacDrive is a device driver, which allows windows to read/write HFS+ formatted drives.