Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I mean the swap from PowerPC to x86 was totally different as Windows was x86. However the swap to ARM will mean Apple relies on IOS developers making Desktop versions of their apps.... which will take many years. So you're going to have a few dead years like the iPad had, and tbh I still think the iPad is totally useless and the poor market sales reflect that. Macs could end up oversized iPads, I mean member the Mac before x86? They had no support for anything... though I know Apple are in a more dominant situation now.

I just think this move will alienate them more, and it is like Apple will lower the prices to the iPad level, because the iPad has now reached the same price level. I used to buy MacBooks because you couldn't get their form factor by anyone else. They were underpowered, but not by much and they were much more reasonable that today, where you have to spend £2000+ to get any GPU that isn't the poor intel one. On the other hand Windows Laptops are much better built than they used to be, but also the price keeps lowering on them. I got myself 1060 Laptop with a 7700, upgradeable ram and nvme drive slots for £600 two years ago... I could do VR on it... no Mac of any rice would get you that at the time.

Right now I look at my 2015 iMac, I didn't upgrade because Apple seemed to put the prices up by £1000+ for the equivalent model today. Now I'm thinking about ditching it as Apple ditched 32bit app support and is moving to ARM, which means x86 MacOS support will increasingly decline. I see messages like this;

• Please note: If you are running macOS 10.15 Catalina or newer you will be able to buy and play Mac applications that are 64-bit only.
    See additional ways to play 32-bit Mac apps below.
I want 32bit app support, but why can't my version of MacOS support 64bit only? It supports 64 now... how does that even make sense? Right now the solution is to dual boot which isn't ideal, but doable, but you wont be able to on newer hardware.

What will happen to gaming on Macs? The reason it has been bad is because Apple don't release a low budget MacBook with reasonable specs. That would have been the fix for it and increase your market share, but now with the move to ARM it'll defiantly be dead. The platform will just become home of the mobile game which everyone hates lol.

The only way I can see this being a good move is if Apple can now compete with Windows on Price/performance, but we all know that'll never happen. Will Apple even allow installing anything from the browser or separate from their store? If they don't then that's the nail in the head right there, Apple suddenly control everything and developers hate that and will stay away. On the iPhone Apple will not allow Microsoft to release a game streaming app, what will happen on Mac if they control the store? I've been looking at switching to Android for years and as a subscriber to Microsoft's Game Pass thing and blocking is just another reason to push me away.

For what it's worth I like my Mac and my iPhone, but Apple are on the verge of pushing me out of their ecosystem completely.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
  • Please note: If you are running macOS 10.15 Catalina or newer you will be able to buy and play Mac applications that are 64-bit only.
    See additional ways to play 32-bit Mac apps below.
I want 32bit app support, but why can't my version of MacOS support 64bit only?
I think you're misreading this. macOS has supported running 64-bit applications for years. Catalina is the first version of macOS that can only run 64-bit applications.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
However the swap to ARM will mean Apple relies on IOS developers making Desktop versions of their apps.... which will take many years.
Ummm... no? But for the sake of argument let's pretend for a split second that you're right - care to elaborate?

For what it's worth I like my Mac and my iPhone, but Apple are on the verge of pushing me out of their ecosystem completely.
K, thx, bye.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The Mac OS will "survive"... kind of.
But... it won't be the same as it is now.
Much is going to change.

I, for one, won't care for "the changes"...

Reactions: Rivvvers

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
If you want a chrome book experience then wait for arm. Gaming for Apple means buying games on iOS and being able to play them on mac. Works for them. They’re a top 5 gaming company.

It’s hard to fault wanting to leverage iOS and make macs more iOS like. This is what the masses want. This is what gives Apple their revenue. And fuels services for them. Some of the cheerleaders in these forums are foaming at the mouth wanting an arm Mac. Nevermind their simple needs are met with a browser and Facebook. This is apple’s focus.

However it’s not what I want out of a computer as it will lose the ability to run windows and many devs who make your essential desktop programs won’t bother with it. Even if some do they become poor lite arm versions of the real thing. Arm basically means the death of the mac as anything useful for pros and becomes more so an expensive chrome book for the masses who value iPad type apps.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
You may think the iPad is useless but it serves most of my computing needs. Don’t use my MBP nearly as much anymore due to the increased capabilities of the current iPads.

Most current Mac apps can be ported to ASi easily. Having iPad apps easier to port to the Mac will just open up new opportunities for diverse apps on the platform.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
macOS on ARM will work exactly as macOS on Intel. There is no additional restriction and there is no need to use iOS apps, 99% of the current Mac apps will work thru Rosetta 2.

Your Mac already supports 64bit apps. macOS has supported 64bit apps since 2007. What it doesn't support is apps that requires a newer version of macOS, but that can be easily fixed by updating macOS.

Regarding 32bit apps, the developers had 13 years to update them to 64bit. If they didn't, well probably they don't care anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.