Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
I have this card in my MacPro, but will be getting the ATI 3870 and will either sell the Nvidia or give it to my brother for his PC.

Will it work in any PC that has PCIE?

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
the 8800gt is better than the 3870 so im curious as to why?

Better at what? Games?

Some people just don't play games.

The ATI card is better at Core Image.

Some people need a card that works well with Pro Apps.

I know the Nvidia works in bootcamp, not sure on a normal PC, can you just test it?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I would think the firmware would need to be rewritten with a PC BIOS version before it would possibly work.

Once flashed, this would need to be tested, IMO.

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
the 8800gt is better than the 3870 so im curious as to why?

I've researched that it is far better for Pro Apps than the 8800GT, and that's what I use the card mainly for. I don't game ...

I just received the ATI now, so I guess I'll just put the Nvidia up for sale on craigslist or something. Thanks all.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
One would of thought it would work trouble free, without flashing. After all the Mac version does have dual-rom, making it compatible with both the Mac side and under bootcamp.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
One would of thought it would work trouble free, without flashing. After all the Mac version does have dual-rom, making it compatible with both the Mac side and under bootcamp.
He originally asked about the 8800 Mac version use in a PC.

Are you sure this one also has dual ROM? :confused:
I knew the 3870 did, but was under the impression the 8800 didn't, hence the need to flash it, assuming it had a large enough ROM capacity (128K).

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
He originally asked about the 8800 Mac version use in a PC.

Are you sure this one also has dual ROM? :confused:
I knew the 3870 did, but was under the impression the 8800 didn't, hence the need to flash it, assuming it had a large enough ROM capacity (128K).

I would of thought the Mac version of 8800GTS will have EFI ROM and standard PC ROM, since it works both inside OSX and Windows.... but this was under bootcamp. And I know the ROM capacity on the Mac card is one and half, that of the PC.

For the best result, if the OP has access to a PC, he/she should try it.
Won't cause the card any harm either way. At worst, the card will refuse to powerup!!

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I would of thought the Mac version of 8800GTS will have EFI ROM and standard PC ROM, since it works both inside OSX and Windows.... but this was under bootcamp. And I know the ROM capacity on the Mac card is one and half, that of the PC.
I took it from another approach. As I understand it, Apple made the adjustments to the 8800's design for use in a Mac. Hardware wise, just spec'd a larger ROM. Then developed the firmware, which is EFI. When you enter Boot Camp, it then relys on BIOS Emulation for it to function, just as the the logic board does.

Assuming this is the case, if you then took that card and placed it in a PC, it wouldn't work, as there isn't any form of EFI installed, and BIOS can't emulate any form of EFI. :(

As ATI developed the 3870 on their own, and apparently created a firmware capable of running in both BIOS and Apple's implementation of EFI. Likely to avoid having to license the firmware from Apple. Though it makes sense, I've no way to be absolutely certain.

For the best result, if the OP has access to a PC, he/she should try it.
Won't cause the card any harm either way. At worst, the card will refuse to powerup!!
Assuming he/she has the inclination. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.