Will MacPro recognize MacBook Pro RAID?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hlipnick, Aug 23, 2010.

1. hlipnick macrumors newbie

Hey everyone-
    So I've got a new MacPro that should be here today. Question about transferring my RAIDs. So the deal right now is that I have a MacBook pro, with two software RAID 1 arrays. The first is two Hitachi 2TB SATA drives in an external enclosure, connected via 2 eSATA cables to an ExpressCard esata adapter. The RAID is a software RAID 1, no hardware RAID controller. The second RAID is two 1TB OWC Mercury Elite AL-Pro External drives daisy chained and connected via a single FireWire 800 connection. Again, Disk Utility software RAID 1, no hardware RAID. My question is, if I were to connect either of these to the MacPro, will they show up (as RAIDs) without issue? The first raid would be connected via a PCI eSATA card, and the second again connected via FireWire. Obviously I have data backed up, but it would sure save me time if someone could confirm that these drives will show up without issue and not have to be re-initialized or any such thing on the new machine. Thanks for any help.
    Peace,

-Harry

2. hlipnick thread starter macrumors newbie

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Where is the OS installed on the MBP?

If it's on either of the arrays, that one will have to be re-done manually, as the OS X installation is for a different board than is in the MP. Basically if you tried to transfer it, it wouldn't work (wrong drivers installed, and it may not even boot).

A Data only array may be transferable (not sure about the FW aspect; never tried it).

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If it's a Disk Utility RAID, not it will not.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

I've a feeling both will need to be re-done (GPT needs to be re-created for both so they're recognized), but am less sure on the FW unit (not sure if it affected the Boot Loader or not; if it did, it will need to be re-created; not sure the other way though).

This is one of the reasons I hate software implementations. :eek: :p

6. studiox macrumors regular

If its software raid I see no reason why it shouldn't work. I have used my Laice Raid-1 (Software) in both PPC laptops, intel laptops and my mac pro intel box.

If your using eSATA you need of course find a PCI card for it, not the easiest task but doable.