Will Macs that are sold ONLY with Snow Leopard, allow Leopard install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by glossywhite, Sep 16, 2009.

1. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Hiya :).

Here's a good question for you kind folk - will a current gen Mac (and maybe the next gen) allow a generic LEOPARD RETAIL installation, onto it?.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You could just wipe the drive and install Leopard. The next generation I would imagine would have to ban it. Apple really wants to avoid XP syndrome.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There isn't any hardware out right now that's Snow Leopard only. Maybe we'll have another Mac Pro 2008 situation? :D

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Current Gen - Yes.
    Next Gen - Most likely not as it will contain hardware not supported by Leopard.

5. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

They don't "ban" anything, they just write installer scripts... which are SOOOO easy to bypass :D

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Some of the hardware in the next model may not have 10.5 drivers. We won't know for sure until Apple actually announces the systems. No amount of install script hacking will make unsupported hardware work.

7. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

It will work as long as the machine only need drivers that pre-date SL. Apple won't block it, but they sure as hell won't be doing Leopard drivers for future Macs.

8. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Yes, this didn't really need to be explained; goes without saying that you cannot retrofit drivers, usually.

9. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Accually you can, I'm typing this on a Dell with the x3100 kexts running the gma x4500 in this dell

Oh, My wifi is the same way too

10. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

This is one place where Apple needs to improve. Organizations don't typically move to a new OS as soon as it drops. We would likely be on Leopard until sometime next year. But, when we buy some new hardware that is significantly different, we will have no choice but to deploy Snow Leopard on those machines. Which could be problematic, as there is software that may not be compatible with Snow Leopard that our users require.

Apple needs to offer more backward support for their new hardware. Hell, there are times that even our standard image with the latest point release, that image still won't work on a new machine. So we have to have a separate image for that one machine. This is where Apple fails in enterprise environments.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Banning I meant not including drivers. Why do people ask questions they appear to already know the answer too?

12. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

They know, and do not care. Apple doesn't see the whole Mac Enterprise market as being worth the trouble. Having cruft sticking around in OS X when the consumer market no longer needs it is one of several reasons.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's nice to see someone else that has encountered these experiences as well.

Imaging on OS X with new machines coming out is a gamble that most don't want to take and I agree.

14. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Hey pal, these are toys (iPod, iPhone, iMac), not business machines. If you want all that backwards crap, ring up the men in suits at IBM.

15. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

You Sir, are silly. How is £1100+ a "toy"?. Can you please buy me one of these "toys" - I need a MBP, and seeing as it is only £1200 :D. Oh, and I forgot - I also need 4 iPod touches, and a 3GS; bung them in the basket, too ;)

16. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Tell that to the Enterprise reps like Mike Bombich. And given that they offer server products, and recently dropped the price of OS X server, I don't think that Apple thinks it isn't worth the trouble. If anything, Apple would sell even more if they made strides in this area. I also hope you can source your claims about what Apple wants and thinks about Enterprise markets, as your claims don't mesh with reality.

I am glad someone else here isn't defending Apple and saying things like, "they don't care," "if you want that, get an IBM."

I don't know if you are being serious here, but I must say that if you are serious, this is the most idiotic thing I have ever read here. I am not surprised though, I expect from people who think these are "toys" and don't know the first thing about the underpinnings. I am sure they have no problem clicking on all the pretty icons though.

Also, most of our users run Mac Pros, not a toy bud. Run along and click your iApps, the only thing you are competent in.

17. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

@Amdahl - I don't even know why you bothered to post such tripe!. If you were trying to wind someone up, you failed, but succeeded in enabling your "dork of the week" status. What kind of ignorant mind would conceive such a conclusion?! :confused: :rolleyes:

Go back to sleep, where you can dream you are correct.