Will March 27th be the date when this mess ends?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacMullet, Mar 18, 2011.

1. MacMullet macrumors newbie

I'm of the opinion that Apple is intentionally holding back to increase the hype and demand. The release date for the Xoom WiFi only model is March 27th. I bet that the iPad 2 will suddenly become more readily available on that date as well. Thoughts?

/frustrated after a week of trying in vain to get an iPad 2 :mad:

2. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

I don't think Apple really cares about the Xoom. I've given up on finding an iPad in the store. I did order a 32 GB Verizon model from Apple as a backup, but that won't be shipped for weeks.

3. Krandor macrumors 6502

Apple can sell as many as they can make right now. They are not going to delay getting peoples money if they can avoid it. It doesn't do them any good. $500 today is worth more then $500 a month from now.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. If anything, the lack of availability might drive people toward the Xoom.

5. baummer macrumors 6502a

Nope, it's going to take a few more weeks. Longer if Apple can't find alternative suppliers to their Japanese suppliers.

6. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

I think once the ipad 2 is released in the other countries this mess will end. Im tired of all these resellers in nyc.

7. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

On March 25th the iPad 2 will go on sale in a number of other countries. If anything, the iPad 2 will become even less available. Of course, it will give enterprising Americans a chance to cross the border into Canada and tap our supply :D.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Conspiracy theories abound.

Apple is not shipping because they don't have them available. It's that simple.

9. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

The way things are going here, I'll bet this date gets pushed back.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Indeed. Anyone who thinks Apple's worried about the Xoom significantly impacting ipad2 sales doesn't understand the difference between the two device ecosystems as they currently stand and currently relate to the target customer markets.

11. MacMullet, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

MacMullet thread starter macrumors newbie

You're probably all right, but it doesn't help my mood.

I just admitted defeat and ordered from Apple.com. Hopefully it ships sooner than "4-5 weeks".

12. Meever macrumors 6502a

Xoom? Ha! I think the 3DS might distract people from the iPad more than the Xoom.

13. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Actually, maybe 25th. That's when 26 other countries will launch it. Will anyone live near canadian's border go to their launch?

14. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It's really interesting to me how many conspiracy theorists there are claiming that Apple is turning down customers who are already lined up with money in hand.

Once everyone is already waiting in the huge launch day lines, their credit cards burning a hole in their pocket, Apple has already won. No need to send those people home and let them reconsider their purchase for a few days.

15. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

I'm sure apple has preallocated amounts for each country to start. By launching in the US first (though I'm betting they plan for it at least a little) it means that anyone in the world that wants an ipad NOW is using OUR stock. Once it's available internationally apple will be using other stocks, not taking away from the us which means people in the us will actually be able to pick one up because there will be less people hoarding them to sell online.

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

True that. I decided to pick up a Xoom from Best Buy since they had plenty of those. Got tired of waiting for the iPad and got really turned off by the lines. I'm actually starting to like it. The browser is wicked fast and flashplayer 10.2 got released today. I watched a Glee and Simpsons episode smoothly and without stutter. Its a little buggy I admit -- but fun to monkey with.

Anyway, I may still get an iPad2 but the more I use the Xoom the more I like it. If my online iPad order gets pushed back I'm not going to bother and will just keep the Xoom this year and go for the HD iPad next year.

17. ravenas macrumors regular

I think it's less a matter of Apple marketing engaging in a conspiracy theory to withhold stock and more a matter of Apple's stock issues leading it into a losing battle with the Android tabs. If Apple cannot ramp up production and meet demand of their iPads (to the point people can walk into a store and buy one on impulse), then Android will happily take over marketshare.

We saw the exact same thing happen in the smartphone market in the US. Because Apple tied its iPhone to one US carrier (AT&T), Android was able to dominant market share even with beta products. Many people got an Android because they wanted to remain on Verizon or Sprint or Tmobile but have the usefulness of a smartphone.

Last year the iPad was mostly mocked for the first few months of its existence. It took until summer before non-Apple consumers were ready to take the plunge on it. And its competitors stumbled badly trying to come up with a configuration and OS to compete. And Android suffered from the enforced tie to restrictive cellular contracts.

This year we have a iPad upgrade that is moderate, at best. When you compare the specs to the Xoom you find at best the devices are fairly comparable at meeting user needs and at worst the Xoom has better hardware.

It remains to be seen how well Motorola handles demand for the WiFi unit. They've priced it very competitively (equal to the comparable 32GB iPad unit). Issues concerning apps and the expandable memory card slot are tied to a software upgrade. That I don't see lasting more than a matter of weeks or months. Kinda the same way iPad1 was limited before iOS 4.2 was released and gave users multi-tasking abilities. But you can't deny the fact the Xoom has better hardware, something the iPad can only fix with a new hardware purchase.

To sum it up, I suspect Apple's shortages are genuine. Caused by the demand from those upgrading, those who held out on a 1st gen product and those who are just now getting into the tablet hype. But by summer's end, I suspect Apple has the most to lose if they cannot get their tablets stocked for walk-in sales.

I say this as someone who loved the iPad experience but has been equally looking to get into the Android tablet experience. The biggest factor for me has been, up to the release of the Xoom WiFi, I had to agree to a 2 yr cellular contract to indulge my interest in Android. Tablet devices are throwaway consumer electronics to me, not something I'm willing to commit to over 1-2 yrs time.

18. ravenas macrumors regular

I can see that happening if iPad 2's are not in stock if/when the Xoom WiFi's hit the stores. It all comes down to stock availability. If Motorola is smart they will have stockpiled enough they can have sufficient quantity at all their retail outfits. Especially places where the iPad2 is sold (e.g. Best Buy).

Imagine the consumer walking into the store and playing with these new tablet devices. They want to surf the web, play video, play some music, play a game and give the PIM functions a whirl. They end up with two choices:

• the iPad2 which is not in stock with no promise of getting more
    • the Xoom WiFi which is ready to buy now

Both can do all those basic functions although the salesman says the iPad has more possible apps for purchase while the Xoom's selection is still growing. Price is identical for each device given their specs.

I doubt many consumers will walk away empty-handed. Apple will be giving the victory to Android by default. Same as they did in the phone arena.

Apple's no dummy though. I'm willing to bet they will beg, borrow and steal to get their stock in stores by April. They have too much to lose.

19. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Xoom what?

It really had no chance to being with.

20. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I think that's the big difference between the phone and tablet markets. While some will buy the Xoom in the absence of the iPad stock, at this point I'd think most prospective tablet buyers will simply wait for the iPad instead of going for equally expensive Xoom. They are most likely all have computers and can live without tablets. Why would they pay more for what they'll perceive as iPad-knock offs?

What Android needs to do is to present Android tablets as the "Windows" equivalent of the tablet market but unlike the Windows PCs, the current Honeycomb tablet offers neither wide availability of compatible apps nor a significantly cheaper price tag. Besides, the largest PC brand, HP, has taken the tablet game with its own OS and you know HP will push it hard in big box stores like Best Buy.

21. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

please the xoom is an afterthought at this point. im glad I got mine on launch day cause I see this going on for months because of the disaster in japan.

22. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'll admit the Xoom got off to a rocky start and its crazy that Motorola shipped the LTE version it in an incomplete form. However, it does have an edge over the iPad in some areas--and its so different that its not really what I'd call an iPad knockoff.

Anyway, while not many people are willing to shell out $800 for the full LTE version, I think the $500 wifi might do a lot a better.

23. ravenas macrumors regular

Xoom WiFi is not more expensive than the WiFi iPad.

Xoom WiFi has 32GB built-in memory with a 5mp back camera, 2 mp front camera, same 10 hr battery life AND an expandable memory option with the MicroSD slot. Priced at MSRP $599.

iPad 32GB WiFi has no expandable memory, a VGA front camera and 720p back camera, same 10 hr battery life priced at MSRP $599.

Come April 1 if i'm shopping in the store and I'm presented with these options, it is a toss up. Especially if I have no already delved into the Mac/iTunes world. iTunes on the PC is a dog of a program and Apple enjoys a healthy skepticism from the PC world.

The only thing Apple has going for it (right now) over Android tabs is the number of apps in the app store. But that is something easily remedied with time. Granted there will be many options available on the market and that can cause some delay for buyers. But the tablet craze is fierce right now (due to iPad's popularity). People want a tablet device to use. But they aren't wedded to a platform. As soon as the WiFi-only Android tabs flood the market, game over for Apple at least as far as market dominance is concerned.

IMHO Apple rushed their iPad2 to market too soon. They didn't have the stock to compete and came out with a substandard upgrade. The cameras alone are enough to make it seem no worth it. Certainly Facetime for a PC user is a worthless gimmick without a desktop client to make it truly useful. So what can you use your cameras for? Not to take decent pictures certainly.

24. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I do not believe Apple are holding back stock.
    I do think Apple are sending units out for sale as fast as they can.

Given the backlight bleed issue, I'd even say they are being even more lax than usual in shipping "Everything" due to demand.

However, I do personally believe Apple did "Launch" the new model early due to perceived possible Honeycomb/Xoom issue at the time.

If they had of launched on the 1 year anniversary of the initial launch, as so many felt they would do, and would not launch before they year was up, they would of have more stock levels in more locations to make the launch a little smoother.

Yes, they would of sold out, but there would of been more units in the first few weeks to meet demand a lot better and avoid customer irritations.