Will MBA 2012 be up to the job?

sam2m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
I'm moving from Windows to Mac so any advice on this one appreciated.

I'd like to have a single laptop as a desktop replacement. I'm a consultant so mobility is important, and I want to get away from my current desktop+laptop set-up to avoid file-sync and multiple license issues.

My idea is to buy a MBA + 27" monitor and re-use a 22" monitor I already have. I don't do processor-intensive work but do need a lot running in parallel. e.g. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook and 20+ browser tabs all open at once, and possibly Parallels running Windows 7 too.

I'm concerned that the MBA won't have enough power, but am put off by the weight of the rMBP. My budget is pretty flexible, so I can go for a souped-up MBA if that's what is needed.

Any help gratefully received!

Sam

sam2m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Thanks

Thanks both for your thoughts. It's sounding marginal.

If I got a rMBP then I should go for 16GB memory to get good performance when Parallels is running too then?

Bauer24

macrumors regular
May 18, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Thanks both for your thoughts. It's sounding marginal.

If I got a rMBP then I should go for 16GB memory to get good performance when Parallels is running too then?

Technically you'd be fine with 8 GB to do what you've stated with a Retina Pro. 16GB would address more future-proofing since you probably want to keep it for 4+ years.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
8GB is already enough, but its better to always maximize RAM.

I think the Air will do, and you dont need the processor upgrade. But you defenetly need the RAM upgrade and a SSD (already in the Air)