Will MBP 17'' Ever Come Back?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seasurfer, Mar 20, 2016.

1. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

I really like the size of it. Is actually not that big.

2. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

I wish.

I am still using a Late 2011 MacBook Pro 17-inch.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Nope. The actual market for the 17" MacBook pro is too small to be profitable.

4. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

I would sell my maxed out 15" Retina in a heartbeat for a new 17-incher Retina.

5. bgalakazam macrumors newbie

Actually, the Lenovo former W series (now renamed P series) have 17" back. Doesn't mean Apple will do it.

However, Apple being pretty much the only one offering 16:10 aspect screens, and the 15" model actually being 15.4", I don't see the need for 17".

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

While we can't say that it will never happen, if it does it is a very long ways off.

7. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

I'd love to see a return of the 17" model, especially with the new Xeon mobile CPUs, more powerful GPUs, RAID NVMe storage, 4k-5k panels, etc. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, it was considered a "niche" product, given the small market due to size/price/features/etc. You were generally only buying a slightly better GPU and a higher resolution panel compared to the 15" model, and it just wasn't selling well, so it was discontinued.

Here's to hoping we'll see it again someday! I've been tempted to buy the last generation of the 17" MBP just for nostalgia's sake (and it still being powerful enough for most tasks)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, this has been asked numerous time and basically the answer is the same.

No matter how much some people love the idea of the 17" laptop, Apple discontinued that form factor for a reason.

9. Queen6, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I also believe this due to Apple focusing evermore on the average consumer, if you compare the high-end portable workstations offered by Lenovo - ThinkPad, Dell - Precision & HP - Elite Book you will rapidly see that that they are worlds apart from the MacBook "Pro" which is now frankly a very average notebook, with only TB differentiating it.

In short I agree Apple discontinued the 17" as there is no realistic market in the consumer "space".

Q-6

10. 2ilent8cho macrumors 6502

I'm guessing not. BUT Apple do listen to feedback i have left feedback in the past and had Apple get in contact and Craig Federighi has said on stage at WWDC before that they listen to our feedback and they get a lot.

So those that really want a 17" Macbook make sure you let them know http://www.apple.com/feedback/

11. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

12. Fishrrman macrumors G3

No.
    It's never coming back.

We see a thread like this about once a week.... ;)

13. mountain macrumors 6502

mountain

14. Freida macrumors 65816

The reason why we see it so often is because people still want that form. I'm one of those.
    15.4 is just too damn small and i only bought it because there was no other option from apple. I understood back then that there was no hardware to drive 17" retina screen. Now that the situation is different it would be nice if apple revived it :)

15. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Nope, to Apple the retina 15" fulfils the 17" MBP users requirements and tradeoffs

16. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I think "if" Apple does it (and that's huge emphasis on "if"), it will probably use the mobile Xeon CPU like Lenovo did with that P70 Thinkpad, and the base would likely start at the cost range of a mid-spec 15", and it will be a magical experience for everybody.

I don't think they'll do it though. But, now it'll probably happen just because I said it won't. Just like when I finally bought a snow blower this winter. Bought it two days after a nice dump of snow back in early December, and after that we barely got 2 inches of snow for the rest of the season.

17. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

It's been 4 years since they discontinued the 17". I don't think it's going to be revived at this point.

18. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

It was a larger gap between discontinuation of the 2010 Macbook and the 2015 Retina Macbook, so I don't think one can really use that as a reason for something not coming back. In fact, we can mostly thank the Retina Macbook for why these types of 17" MBP threads have resurfaced.

19. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

It isn't the only reason, but like many others ... I keep crossing my fingers.

20. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

That was a reuse of a name not a product line or form factor....

21. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

Just don't think the strong demand for the 17" exists

22. mikecalderone macrumors member

mikecalderone

I too want a 17" Macbook pro. I am using a late 2011 17" still working great. (Upgraded to 16gb Memory and SSD)
    I have also purchased a 2015 15.4 Retina model, knowing that APPLE will not bring back the 17". I have settled to this 15.4 Retina, but not satisfied.

23. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

I have an early 2011 17", it's a great machine but is very heavy so not really all that portable, having said that I lugged it around for years while at uni and it has served me well. The battery is still good. It's still my primary laptop but I need something lighter for travel so will likely get something to supplement it come WWDC.

My only issue with it is that it doesn't like connecting to some wifi networks for whatever reason.