Will MBP be updated prior to July 2009?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alan7948, Apr 1, 2009.

1. alan7948 macrumors newbie

Hi i know this question has been asked many times but i just wanted the most up to date answer. Will the Macbook Pro be updated before July this year? This includes any speed bumps, Snow Leopard or Hardware.

Please let me know if there is any chance of snow leopard being released before July.

Please Help Me

Thanks in advance

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i dont trust the buyer's guide. first it said don't buy because it's approaching the end of it's cycle and now it's saying it's in mid cycle.

and yes buy the MBP now.

4. alan7948 thread starter macrumors newbie

when are these speed bumps rumoured to be due in before july or after?

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i dont think anyone knows for sure when this is going to happen

6. cathyy macrumors 6502a

I doubt there's going to be anything more significant than a slight speed bump for the next 6 months at least, until Arrandale comes out.

7. cg165 macrumors regular

They just did a speed bump, that's why. It was 2.4ghz and 2.53/2.8 now it's 2.4 but 2.66 /2.93 ghz and the 2.66 or 2.93 ghz ones can now use 8 gb of ram instead of 4. (actually you can use up to 6gb for the other models). Depending on what you're doing though, the mbp should be plenty fast for anything you want to do especially with the help of the upcoming snow leopard.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I think Apple is done with Mac h/w until Snow Leopard. Apple's focus now until WWDC is iPhone (h/w and s/w), Snow Leopard, and maybe the illusive netbook/tablet. I expect new laptops in Sept. right after now traditional "free iPod" back to school offer ends.

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i know they just did a bump, but it took them about a month to change it on the buyer's guide. thats unacceptable. this site gets a lot of hits and im sure that page is very popular and for a month people were getting wrong information.

10. deanmadoo macrumors member

what are they going to bump to?
    2.93 to 3.02?

11. cg165 macrumors regular

Oh, I didn't realize that. I was actually surprised they did any update at all since I didn't remember them doing one for them right before the unibody. They pretty much release everything at the same time every year though. Since they just did that speed bump, I would say they average a 5 - 6 month cycle before releasing something. It's all an estimate. One of the best ways to figure out what's coming is to look at hardware companies (like intel) and see what processors are coming out, how much TDP (Thermal Design Power) they use, and when it's going to be released. Intel has a timeline of when their stuff is coming out so you at least can tell when it's coming out. This doesn't mean anything will come out right away after that either though, but at least you know it won't be before then.

Since apple makes their notebooks very thin, they have to use processors with the lower TDP and their graphics cards or the thing will be 200 degrees fahrenheit lol. Mine is idling at 111F now. These are great machines and even if they do get updated, who cares really. I waited forever for this thing and I was glad once it actually came out but it was terrible waiting and waiting....at least they redid everything for this one so it was worth the wait.

12. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Obviously 3.06. Just like the 3.06 GHz Pentium 4's with HT from 5 years ago. Do the math.

No, they're not going to update them. They probably won't speed bump them.

The next move will be to Nehalem, and didn't MacRumors just say there's tenuous info that it will probably happen in November?

13. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

But indications are that Snow Leopard won't be out until September. I don't see laptop upgrades at the same time a new OS comes out. As has already been said, Nehalem-based versions may come around November. (Remember last year MB/MBP upgrades didn't happen until mid-October anyway.)

14. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Possibly: Penryn speed bump (up to 3.07 GHz) + other updates in the next few months.

Not sure: Clarksfield in H2 2009.

Likely: Arrandale in H1 2010.

15. cg165 macrumors regular

Notebook upgrades make sense being released the same time the operating system comes out. They do this for the iPhone, why wouldn't they do it for the notebooks? I'm pretty sure it's always been like that but I could easily be wrong!

16. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I'm sure we'll see updates as soon as July. It follows the 6-8 month update refreshes.

17. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

They'll probably bump them up to 2.8/3.06 GHz in a few months. Nothing to write home about. Arrandale could prove interesting though. It may or may not coincide with Intel's rollout of USB 3.0, which will probably kill or badly hurt Firewire and eSATA. Having been one of those who bought a laptop with USB 1.0 just before USB 2.0 was launched, I gotta say it's ten times worse to be on the wrong side of a paradigm shift like that than to be left behind in the perpetual speed war. Suddenly the market is awash with all these new nifty peripherals, and you can't use a single one of them at full speed. You're stuck with whatever ports your laptop came with.

5 gbit/sec, man, USB 3.0 is like PCI-Express through a cable. 500 MB/sec theoretical, 400 MB/sec with protocol overhead. Coming to your galaxy in 2010.

18. iMacmatician macrumors 601

They didn't do it with Tiger or Leopard.

19. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I'm not 100% sold on weather 8 gigs are supported on any of the 15" pro processors. Just a few claims of using it currently. I'd like a bit more proof....