Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nzoMD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
San Diego
I've been doing a lot of research over the last week in preperations on buying a laptop. After being a windows guy for as long as I can remember, I obviously wanted a Windows-based system.... but since vista.. now I want Leopard-based system. Plus it can be fun to learn a brand new OS. However, I do play games between classes (& sometimes during boring lectures) and it is not something I am willing to give up. If I do finally decide to get a MBP, I will most definately wait for an update to get a higher CPU speed and hopefully they upgrade from a 8600m to an 8700m (8800m are way to big for the current design).

Right now I don't play any games... But I know I will get into Age of Conan when it hits the shelves... so I ask you, do you think this game will run on a MBP?

Age of Conan's Minimum:
CPU: Pentium 4/Athlon XP or better
CPU Speed: 3 GHz
System RAM: 1 GB
Operating System: Windows XP & Vista
Video Card: 128 MB DirectX 9.0c Graphics Card with Shader 2.0 support (NVIDIA GeForce 6800+ / ATI Radeon 9800+)
Free Disk Space: 3 GB

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2008/007/927504_20080108_screen001.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2008/007/927504_20080108_screen009.jpg

The first thing I noticed was the CPU Speed.. I said.. wow. However, several friends of mine who are lucky enough to be in the beta are running the game fine on a Core 2 Duo E6550 (2.33GHz). Normally I could compute these statistics myself, however, I don't know how Macs operate... especially in bootcamp.

Again, I understand that MBP are not the powerhouse gaming machines that are Alienware or Dell, but I do not want a Vista-based machine if I could avoid it. I am more interested in MBP if they meet my gaming needs. (I don't need 300+ FPS, just 60 :D)

Retired
May 16, 2006
It means 3Ghz Single, much slower than the MBP processor :)

Macs run in BC the same as a PC with the same specs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.