Will MBP's wrist area fade after long use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Amerabian, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Amerabian macrumors regular

I've tried searching around to check..

I know the MBP is made of aluminum casing, I'm just not sure if it will still fade after long use especially that the finish is textured.

I see wrist guards on sale and also trackpad guards..

[​IMG]

Do any of these two areas get affected after long use??

I would hate to see spotting or color fading like what happened with my old dell..

Please advise,

Thanks

2. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

I have the same question and know that on plastic PC's after a while it starts to fade. I don't see this being a problem with the aluminum uni body but currently I am in a tent in Bahrain for a year, so I am looking for a cover just to be safe.

My question to you is what is in the above picture?

I have seen a leather one similar to that but made for the 15" MBP. I have a 17" and am looking for a good cover to match my speck satin case.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Mine doesn't show any sign that it will ever fade and I haven't seen any pictures of it. Really the only weak spot is the sharp edge, which starts chipping and get little black spots. The very place this protective stuff doesn't cover. Thus it is all rather useless.
    The only thing that can hurt this body is sharp hard stuff, like knives maybe some watches. Your hands won't wear it down afaik.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I've seen the people post on here how their wrist areas have become worn out and chipped. Some people thought it was because of the sweat on their hands.

I have a 2009 MBP and it's just about as perfect as the day I bought it.

5. randomrazr macrumors 65816

6. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I've got a mid-2006 MBP and the wrist area is still in perfect condition, unless you look from angle, into light its still barely noticeable it just looks slightly glossy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Lock macrumors member

I wore a leather bracelet with a metal snap for a while and it scraped up my 07 mbp pretty badly. But I can’t see anything short of metal doing that. The other side is fine.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I had the same problem with my 2006 MBP, except my bracelet is completely metal so it's a much bigger surface area (although it's smooth). I have a 2011 MBP now which has the aluminium case and I haven't scratched it yet. Is the 2007 aluminium or plastic?

9. Lock macrumors member

It’s pre unibody Aluminium - same design as the 2006. I have a 1” by 2” area that looks like the surface of the moon. (And an absolutely huge but cosmetic dent on the rear/bottom/backside of the screen, but that’s for another thread).

10. Nermal, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Huh, I always thought that the 2006 was just grey plastic. You learn something every day!

But yeah, my 2011 still looks fine after ~5 months of use.

11. tbln macrumors newbie

I have a mid-2009 15" and, like others have said, there is a very slight smoothening of the surface where my palms sit. I do have sweaty palms though (stress from procrastination!) and its really only noticeable if you scrutinize at an angle with perfect lighting. Its indiscernible if you run your finger over the texture and is not as apparent as Dhelsdon's 2006.

However, the most noticeable normal wear is on the keys of the keyboard. Everyone in my class who has had their MBP for over a year has sheen on their keys. It used to bother me but I've come to terms with the fact that this is a machine meant to be used and this is normal wear from daily usage.

12. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I recently sold my 2008 preunibody MBP 15 and the palm area looked perfect. Some of the keys had a shine though and looked slightly worn.

13. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

The palm areas on my 15" four year old MBP are in perfect shape. This with a minimum 6-7 hr usage per day.