Will minor cosmetic damage invalidate the warranty?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AVR2, Jan 6, 2012.

1. AVR2 macrumors 6502

About 6 months ago my iPad 2 fell off an airport trolley. It was in a leather case and it still worked fine afterwards, but there's a small but noticeable "ding" to the metal backing plate at the corner where it landed.

Just today I've got the Red Screen of Death, for reasons that I'm sure are unrelated to the falling incident. I'm still within the year's warranty period, but if I take it in for warranty service, will they refuse on the grounds that it's clearly been dropped at some point? Obviously I can't prove that it was dropped 6 months ago and has worked fine since and so logically there's no connection between the cosmetic damage and the RSoD.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Probably not, but it's up to the Genius to decide whether or not the drop caused the problems.

3. RayK macrumors 6502

4. AVR2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem solved (at least for now). I was looking at a YouTube clip of someone else's RSoD, and one of the comments said that it could be fixed by giving the iPad a sharp bang on a hard surface. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I tried it and it worked. We seem to be fully back to normal.

Not often that a YT comment manages to be both constructive and helpful (or even just one or the other).