Will more RAM help MKV's load faster?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Ben1l, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Ben1l macrumors regular

I have a mac mini (2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo) with 1gb of RAM that I use as a media centre. I pretty much only use Front Row on it. Most of the time I watch HD MKV files, but am sick of waiting for them to load in Front Row (the blue progress bar). I just wanted to know if upgrading the RAM on it would help speed up this loading/buffering?

Many thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's loaded from the HD thus RAM wouldn't help much. You could upgrade the HD to faster, 7200rpm drive to speed it up.

Or try another app. I have the same issue with Quicktime, I can't jump to one point before it has loaded but I have no such issue with VLC

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Also take a look at Movist, as it has some kind of Front Row equivalent, started via pressing the "N" key or sometimes you have to use "Cmd+N".

4. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

I've found a huge improvement with the loading time of MKV files with the XBMC Dharma Beta

What took a minute or two previously loads in seconds.

Not to mention native GPU acceleration

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

6. JayX macrumors member

Agree with the two previous, there's far better 3rd party HTPC solutions on OSX than the built in Front Row. I didn't even know FR supported MKV!

7. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

If you use Perian, you can make QuickTime (and by extension, Front Row) play MKV files. However, as far as MKV loading times, this is partly a limitation of QuickTime 7 and partly a limitation of Perian.