Will more RAM speed up Motion 3?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by j.roswen, Apr 20, 2009.

1. j.roswen macrumors newbie

I have a 2006 Core 2 duo 1.83ghz macbook running leopard. I have one gig of ram right now. Understandably, running motion 3 on it is a nightmare. I was looking around online and saw that I can buy 2 gigs of ram for 30 dollars, which would double the ram in my machine. Will this make motion run any faster, or will my 1.83ghz processor doom me to slow speeds until I can buy a new laptop?

2. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

download istat menus. if while your using it it uses all your ram,buy more ram

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Definitely upgrade the RAM. A faster 7200RPM hard drive wouldn't hurt either.

Is this just a hobby? Because I would recommend a newer model that can support 4GB of RAM with a dedicated GPU as it takes advantage of the GPU for rendering. I did not think it even worked with the integrated Intel GMA950.

Even replacing with an older Macbook Pro with 3+GB of RAM would be a big improvement because of the GPU.

4. j.roswen thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded istat, and the ram stays at about 70-80 percent, if Motion is the only application running. The CPU, however, almost tops the graph. Looks like I'll just put the money towards a new MBP.