Will Mountain Lion fix wifi issues?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PaulCostello, Jul 24, 2012.

1. PaulCostello macrumors member

I sure hope Apple deals with the wifi issues found in Lion. (disconnects, lag, etc.) Whats your thoughts?

2. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

I hope so. Ever since I got Lion my MBP doesn't connect automatically to my house router.

3. RedCroissant Suspended

I have seen this a lot on other threads, but my iMac has no problems reconnecting to WiFi from sleep or even maintaining a connection. It's the same with my MBP or even my wife's iMac.

So it's possible that the WiFi problem is being addressed in the OS X update.

Was this a useless post? Don't say "no."

4. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

My problems were fixed with 10.7.3 so I expect Mountain Lion won't have those bugs either.

5. harcosparky macrumors 68020

2011 iMac here, came with LION installed.

Never once had a WIFI problem and to be honest with the WIFI network setup we have here I don't know why.

We just went through a major network upgrade and configuration change and amazingly everything worked smoothly through the changeover except the SAMSUNG TV.

Samsung said they are aware of the problem and may fix it in a future firmware update. or may not .... depends on if they get enough calls over the issue.

At least they had a workaround for the problem.

6. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

I had terrible wifi issues...until I got an Airport Extreme to replace my old Linksys router. Works every time now. I guess that Apple stuff likes to work with other Apple stuff.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I had problems on my 21" 2011 before 10.7.3. That update fixed them, only to see new issues with 10.7.4. So I downgraded to .3 and have been fine. Really want ML, but not at the cost of renewed wifi instability. So experiences with ML on 2011 iMacs would be greatly appreciated.

8. harcosparky macrumors 68020

We are using all CISCO routers and access point on the network here. We got rid of the Linksys stuff, even the Linksys stuff with the CISCO lane on them. Straight up CISCO and the only device to have a problem is one HDTV.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

3rd party gear may cause some issues, but there is a known issue (hundreds of posts on apple's forum) specific to 2011 iMacs and 10.7.4, and that issue is independent of any other hardware in the equation. Hopefully it has been fixed in ML, but I'm wary of upgrading without knowing.

10. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I've never had issues until after installing Mountain Lion today. Now it can't stay connected. Ugh!

11. PaulCostello thread starter macrumors member

sigh...

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Oh dear. Now I'm worried. 2011 iMac? Had you previously been on 10.7.4?

13. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Yes I was on 10.7.4 without issue.

14. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Here is one thing that seems to be working so far for me. My connection has been flawless for the last 30 minutes.......YMMV!

Go into Network Preferences, click Wifi, then advanced. Click TCP/IP and change Configure IPv6 to Link-local only. Like I said, YMMV but the problem acts like a routing issue, not an actual connection issue.

Hope this helps!

15. bobtimmons macrumors newbie

I never had a problem until ML. The problem I'm having is when my 2011 macbook pro goes to sleep, it won't keep an IP address. I can connect to either of my 2 routers and get an IP initially, but then it loses it shortly thereafter (within 5 sec). Only rebooting will bring it back permanently. This is happening on both my Netgear & my Apple routers.

I did a ML upgrade, not a clean install, so I might try a clean intall on another macbook and see if it has similar problems. I'm running the preview ML on my 2nd laptop and it's not having this problem, so it seems it's only the released version.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't appear to help me.

16. nielson macrumors newbie

Same here!

I've got the same problem in my Macbook Pro.

After upgrading from Lion to Mountain Lion, the Wi-Fi stopped working properly. When I ping any address, I've got a lot of request timeouts. It's impossible open any website.

Does anybody tried a clean install? Did it work?

17. lupo.mm macrumors newbie

same issue......

same here. never had any problems with wifi until ML update. Now my MacBookAir drops the internet connection when going to sleep.:( I have to reconnect manually - this works w/out reboot.

18. rgare2 macrumors newbie

19. bobtimmons macrumors newbie

Did a clean install today and it fixed the wireless problem. Now onto the task of reinstalling/reconfiguring all my apps.

I'm noticing that the Mac App Store shows my purchases and lists many as "Installed" where they are not actually installed. Need to figure out that one next...

20. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I just wanted to follow up in case anyone here does not make it over to the ML forum. I have found a fox that worked for me and I have a feeling that this fix is not necessarily ML related. It could just be the fact that we have upgraded OS's and OSX is getting confused by the multiple configuration files.

For starters, I've read many posts on the internet about resetting pram, deleting your network location, re-establishing you network etc. but after trying them, never once was I prompted to enter the password for my network. This tells me that my network password and configuration was stored somewhere.

That somewhere was keychain. Go to your Spotlight (magnifying glass in the upper right hand corner) and type keychain and you will see "Keychain Access". Click on it to enter Keychain Access.

In Keychain Access I noticed duplicate entries of my network in both system and login. Click on Login, then sort by Kind and you will see "Airport network password" for every network you belong to. Now delete the one you are having issues with as well if there are duplicate entries. If there are, this is most likely your problem. Now click on System and delete the one you are having issues with as well if there are duplicates. Once again, if there are, this is most likely your problem.

Close Keychain Access and click your WiFi Icon in the upper right hand corner and then click on the network you want to connect to. It should prompt you for a password, fill it in and then click on remember. Viola! Fixed!

I've made it sleep, I've shut down completely and now it just works.....like I am used to.

Let me know how you make out. Just because this fixed it for me does not mean it will work for everyone as our problems could be very different.

21. lupo.mm macrumors newbie

fix

this worked for me. changed to link-local only and no more connection issues with my home wifi anymore......so far. Thx:eek:

22. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I didn't have connection or drop out issues with Lion, but my MBP was significantly slower than my imac and my MBA. Ml appears to have rectified this, and the speeds are now comparable. No drop out, no lock ups now.

23. dmax35 macrumors 6502

Curious if you did a fresh install or upgrade?

24. navarretemarce macrumors newbie

Is just worst. I wish I hadn't updated my MBA

25. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I broke the habit of a lifetime and decided to do an over the top install on all three Macs...All went perfectly...If I just had one, or a lot of time I would have performed clean installations, but I did my imac first, waited to see how it worked, and then did the other two...No problems at all.