Will my 17" Macbook pro overheat in Clamshell mode?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dspindl, Nov 26, 2011.

1. dspindl macrumors member

I'm anxiously awaiting arrival of a Dell U2410, and reading up on connecting to an external monitor.
    Is overheating an issue with the lid closed? I also have a Speck see-through case snapped onto the base and lid. The Speck has open slots on the base for air flow but I wondered if anyone has used a Macbook with a Speck type case in Clamshell mode? I really don't want to have to remove the case whenever I hook up to the monitor....they are not the easiest things to get off.
    Thanks for you help!
    Dave

2. visim91 macrumors 6502

+1
    I have recently been running my 13" in clamshell, but opted instead to crack it open ~30° due to high fan speed/whine while running slightly taxing applications.
    Anyone know if the screen could be compromised by the heat - or the case warped, if left like this?

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Have

The same Speck case on my 17" MBP, and although the slots on the bottom do help, with the case on you do get more heat.

If you are using an external monitor, I'd leave your Pro open a little at least.

4. CentralFC macrumors member

If you want to run the external without the MBP on, you can. Otherwise, the risk of overheating increases with it in clamshell mode. I'd stray away from that and ensure proper ventilation.

Let me know if you don't mind having the MBP open with the display off.

5. dspindl thread starter macrumors member

CentralFC.....sounds interesting. Not sure I know what you mean "running the external without the MBP on". Can you explain in a little more detail? And no, I wouldn't mind having the laptop open with the display off.
    Thanks,
    Dave

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

No, it won't. It wouldn't be touted as a feature if it did.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I actually have the 17" with the Apple Cinema Display and speck hardshell in clamshell mode. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise; it works perfectly fine, the screen is just as good as it was the day I got it (matte anti-glare) and it's been the same way for a full year.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

All Apple's laptops are designed to run in clamshell mode. Apple has instructions specifically on this subject. Apple wouldn't do this if it wasn't designed to run that way. The vent on the back is just as open regardless of whether or not the computer is.

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

This. There are users running MBPs closed and powering dual 27" displays. It's within the specifications the machine is designed for.

That said, if I were running that kind of setup, I would consider a BookArc stand. Improve airflow a little bit, and it just looks great.

10. Ant.honey macrumors regular

I'm one of those users. No problems. I'd do the BookArc thing if I had the desk real estate, but I don't. Looks good though - doubt it really helps with the airflow really however.

11. iThinkergoiMac, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I guess I should mention, in the interest of being completely thorough, that the iBooks are NOT designed to run in clamshell mode and will not do so without the aid of 3rd party software like Caffeine. That being said, we're talking about MBPs here and they're all designed to run in clamshell mode.

12. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

The Unibody macbook pro is designed to run just as well in clamshell mode as in open mode. You will NOT wreck your MBP in anyway shape or form.

13. visim91 macrumors 6502

Eased my conscience quite a bit, thank you all.

14. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Only if you boot it up

Otherwise sitting in the off position, mine's as cool as can be :)

15. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I have one of those BookArcs, so my laptop is upright, but I don't have any overheating issues.

16. dspindl thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to everyone for your comments! They are very much appreciated!
    Dave