Will my 2008 iMac Run Mountain Lion?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GR33NIE, Feb 19, 2012.

1. GR33NIE macrumors 6502

Early days I know but haven't heard anything about specs Mountain Lion will run on (did I miss it)

My iMac is a 2008 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GHz currently 2GB ram but thinking of taking it up to 4GB Ram. Currently running Snow Leopard so expect ill need Lion first. Any ideas?

Thinking of an upgrade this year altogether but not sure if it's *really* worth it given the cost and the fact I don't do any really heavy stuff to make my current iMac struggle anyway

2. rossip macrumors regular

yes

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I don't think you'll need Lion first. The only reason you needed Snow Leopard before Lion was because Lion was only on the Mac App Store, and the Mac App Store was not on an OS lower than Snow Leopard. So you can simply use the Mac App Store on Snow Leopard to purchase Mountain Lion :)

While buying an new iMac won't be necessary you probably should upgrade to 4GB of RAM for best performance (it's not expensive these days anyway).

Good luck :)

4. GR33NIE thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers for the replies folks, yeah I think I will go ahead and upgrade the ram seeing as it's only £49 from Crucial which personally I think is pretty good

Roll on the summer and Mountain Lion :)

5. torana355 macrumors 68000

I know this is an old thread but 2008 iMacs with the ATI 2600 video cards will not work with Mountain lion.

6. rossip macrumors regular

what makes you think that?

7. peglegjack macrumors 6502

peglegjack

8. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Upgrade the RAM on that thing already!

Mine was stock 2GB when I put it and already maxed it out to 6GB and a 128GB SSD and the thing screams.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They will support Mountain Lion. Even the lesser ATI 2400 equipped iMacs will support it.

10. mrjamieb macrumors newbie

I have a mid-2010 iMac which, when I updated to Lion, became noticeably slower than when I was running Snow Leopard. This was alright cause the most demanding programs I ever had open at one time were Photoshop Elements 10, Lightroom 3 & iTunes in the background and once they were all open I was good to go, however was getting a little lag when doing certain things in LR & PS.

Last weekend my Crucial RAM arrived & I upgraded from 4GB to 16GB. Now when I open a RAW file, PS opens instantly & I'm good to go! Same with LR4. NO lag whatsoever any more which is awesome.

Even if you're not putting much strain on your iMac, £70 for 16GB of RAM isn't too bad at all & it makes a hell of a difference :D

11. torana355 macrumors 68000