Will My 3G S Upgrade Plan Work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cridiron, Jun 14, 2009.

1. cridiron macrumors member

So here's some background:

I currently own an iPhone 3G which I bought the day it came out and according to AT&T I won't be able to upgrade until 3/10/10.

My brother has an iPhone 2G and is eligible for an upgrade. He can't afford the 3G S right now so he's gonna let me use his upgrade now to get the 3G S, then come March, he'll use my upgrade

So here's my question:

Since his line will be upgraded, his data plan will go from $20 to $30. On June 20th, can I call AT&T and tell them the following story about my brother's line?:

"I sold my 3G S to my brother and also go a 2G iPhone in return. Can I dump the $30 data plan and use the $20 plan?"

Will my plan work? Thanks in advance.

2. Hints-The-Name macrumors member

Yes this should work! There is no need to lie to ATT it is your account and you can indeed swap upgrades with the lines. Just tell them you an your brother have swapped upgrades and put his sim card into a 2G and call ATT explain you swapped upgrades, give them the IMEI number from the 2G and tell them you would like to 3G service data plan on to your lines and give them the IMEI number from the 3G and they will know what to do from there. You may get an jerk the first time that will tell you that you must keep the data plan on the line for 2 yrs but it is not the truth and some of there employees don't know exactly what there talking about(for example, My local ATT corp store told me I couldn't pre order a 3G S b/c I wasn't returning a 3G, I had a 3G but it was 2 months old not under 30 days) Your prob best though to have you and your brother both go in a corp store together, or if bought at ATT corp store, they could prob take care of it right there.

3. cridiron thread starter macrumors member

Excellent! I'll do that! Thanks a lot for the reply! :)