Will my 6+ screen crack beneath a screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shikaka, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Shikaka macrumors regular

I've been using my 6+ naked except for an Armor Sheild Ballistic Glass screen protector.

To add a little extra protection I recently purchased a Tech21 case. While putting the case on, I noticed that glass screen protector sits just about level with the height of the of the case's lip.

Is my screen protector defeating the purpose of the case by exposing the screen to the direct force of a face-down drop? What are the chances of shattering both the screen protector and the glass underneath?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its possible that the two are working against each other.

Consider this, if you drop the phone and it lands face down, the body of the case will not be absorbing the energy, but the tempered glass. Will that be enough to protect the screen - its really impossible to know.

If it were me, I'd be looking for a case that does not reduce the screen protection.

3. Shikaka thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, the screen protector manufacturer advertises their product being hit with a hammer.

Maybe someone who has a better understanding of physics than me can explain how a thin sheet of glass laminated to a phone's screen can have a combined strength greater than the two materials by themselves?

I can't picture it.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

They simply can't.

You can not believe everything advertisers claim.

5. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

It very well might. I don't put much faith in those screen protectors.

6. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

7. Caesars macrumors regular

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Impossible to say. It's certainly possible but we can't give you the odds no matter what permutation of screen protector and case (or lack of either one) that you decide to go with. It's not just a matter of the protection but the circumstances of the specific drop.

9. wxman2003 Suspended

Since most of the current glass screen protectors do not go edge to edge on the 6 or 6 plus, the edges are not protected. So it the phones hits the ground at one of those weak points, it could shatter under the tempered glass.

10. dopeman macrumors regular

realistically..no normal human being would smash the phone screen with a hammer....let's be clear on that...but i could understand if there were drop on the screen...sure that would protect...

honestly..i would go with zagg.