Will my Apple Store see this as a problem?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jtap, May 26, 2011.

1. jtap macrumors member

I have a late 2009 i5 27in iMac. I have had it roughly a year and a half, but have an extended AppleCare warranty on it. I recently moved into a new apartment and have now noticed that my hard drive is making the low "grumbling" noise.

It creates this noise when I open up applications or just click links on the web(and a new page loads). It doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but in a silent room it is very irritating, especially when you know its there. I never really paid much attention to it as there was always a low level of ambient noise at my old place.

Also, it appears that there are "smudges" on the screen(under the glass?). You cannot tell unless the screen is light colored(like when you restart and the Apple logo appears). I have only cleaned the screen with the iKlear products. It would appear that these are smudges under the glass, I cannot get rid of them no matter what I try. I also have faint yellow tint on the bottom right of the screen. However since this was a replacement model for a unit that had terrible yellowing - I decided to live with this.

My nearest Apple store is about a 3 hour drive away. So my question is: if I haul my iMac in with the above problems - will they just laugh in my face? I think it would appear to any "normal" person as a perfectly good iMac. The Apple store will probably be loud enough to not hear the faint rumbling of the HD, so there is strike one. Also, I will admit that the smudges are not THAT big of a deal, but nonetheless I did paid 2,000 for this machine and would like it to be perfect.

I am planning on purchasing a 27in Cinema Display to go along with my iMac as well as another ACD to go with my MBP (triple screen setup in theory). Since I live 3 hours away from the store, I would much prefer to just get a replacement model, but I am afraid it will be too late. Would it be possible to pay the difference on the new i5 model or something to that effect? Also, since I am going to be purchasing a Cinema Display from the same store - would they be more inclined to offer me a replacement there?

Any response would be helpful thanks!

2. flipster macrumors 6502a

No. You paid a lot of money for it.

My 2008 iMac had an annoying hard drive. I literally went to Apple, and just told them that I couldn't concentrate with the noise, and I just wanted a quick replacement. No problem, they did it in no time and now everything is silent.

3. iMikeT macrumors 68020

They'll take it to the back and do proper testing there. At which point they will let you know what's really wrong with it.

Before taking your iMac to the Apple Store, why not call for service over the phone? That way, instead of driving three hours, they'll give you a box and have you ship it to them and they'll resolve the issues that way. Also, be sure to back up all of your data before contacting Apple or going to the Apple Store.

4. jtap thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses guys. I thought about going the box route - but can't afford to be out a computer for that long. I was thinking that if I made the trip in person they might consider swapping it out for a new one? (especially if I say im going to buy an ACD as well). Is this something that occasionally happens or will they not trade a late 09 for an early 11?

5. taylortm macrumors member

They'll treat you right

My experience is similar to flipster's. While I've read a lot of horror stories about going into the Genius Bar, my experiences have all been positive. They acted genuinely concerned that I was happy. The first time was with a $2,200 computer/system. They said something like "you paid a lot of money for this and we want you to be happy."

Then, more recently, it was with my $900 iPad. Again, they said "you paid a lot of money for this and we want you to be happy."

It seems like that's their mantra. I typically do not purchase AppleCare (and didn't have it for either of the two examples I just mentioned). I have heard (and read, here) that they will go even an extra mile for AppleCare folks. (Example: they were rumored to ship replacement iPads to AppleCare folks rather than having you ship it, and wait.)

They'll treat you right. But it won't hurt to have good "stories" in your back pocket (like flipster's remark about not being able to concentrate), just in case. And smiling persistence helps a lot in those situations, too.

AND... as a total aside from my main point... I wanted to make sure you know. The "glass" comes right off the front of that iMac. Search online (ifixit.com is a decent resource). But it is literally held on with only magnets. The online resources will encourage you to procure all sorts of crazy suction cup contraptions. But I have found it quite simple to stick a fingernail between the glass and the aluminum (at the top of the computer) and, once a small space is created, slide a second fingernail all the way across the top. The glass comes right off. (So you can clean the inside.) But don't do it in a dusty room! Static electricity is not your friend for that project.

6. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Apple simply doesn't just trade in an old system for a new one, even if you purchase it with anything else. You can try, no harm in that. The only way Apple will give you a brand new system on the spot is if your current one is broke beyond repair/replacement of parts.

I understand that you cannot be without a computer for too long, in truth, who can go a modern-day without a computer for too long? The best piece of advice that I can give you now is to be prepared for anything, even if you have to be without a computer for a few days.

7. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

I'd suggest you set up an appointment rather than just rock up with iMac under your arm. Phone support can talk you through it.

It's probable that you'll have to use your MBP while the iMac is undergoing surgery.

Back up your data!

8. Mr.Majestic macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Few things ou should consider.

Apple does not replace computers unless they are have a defect under the return period or they can't fix it when it's in warranty. So they can repair your machine, that is all.

It would be unlikely they would repair a hard drive in a desktop during your visit, they may be able to clean the glass. So you would have to be without the machine I'd they think it's an actual issue.

Mail in repair may be he best option for you, so you so not have to make the drive.

9. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Do you have an Apple Authorised Service Provider within reach of you? I have found they provide excellent service, often carrying out jobs while you wait - providing they're not too busy. They carry out work under AppleCare too.

10. blevins321 macrumors 68030

This. A bit over an hour for me to the 'real' Apple Store, but we have two local Apple shops called Mactown and MacDepot. Both are top notch and perform excellent work. Do not take your beautiful Mac to Best Buy.

11. harcosparky macrumors 68020

What he said!

12. Bear macrumors G3

For the hard rive, it would depend on the exact sounds it was making.

As for the screen, smudges under the screen should be their responsibility. ALso a yellow tint on the screen is a screen that at the very least needs adjustment if not outright replacement.

Call Apple and tell them your concerns, especially highlight the color tint. They could decide to do a replacement based on that and save you time at the store.

One of the things they will do for you is set an appointment for you at your "local" store, whatever they decide needs to be done for your system. And you do want an appointment before driving. I do recommend getting one as early in the day as you can to allow them time to do stuff in the store the same day.

13. likegadgets macrumors 6502

Since you have applecare, first try to see how much they can diagnose over the phone - I have been favorably surprised as to how good they can be.

Then, if there is an authorized applecare service center closer than the Apple store (but not Best Buy) I would go there - 3 hour drive is a long drive. I have had service providers repaired macs (screens and HDD) with excelent results.