Will my Apple Watch be replaced?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by elki64, Nov 6, 2016.

1. elki64 macrumors newbie

Oct 10, 2016
    Hey guys! I just got the red mark of death on my Apple Watch... (tried to update software and it got stuck , I reset it and then it was bricked) so I send it in for repair. And they said there's a chance I'll have to get a new 1.

Two questions:

Why is it being replaced?

And what Apple Watch do u guys think I'll get? (It's a series 0 Watch) do they still make those?!
  2. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

Jun 9, 2004
    Clearwater, FL
    I think they will replace your 1st gen watch with a 1st gen. I'm sure they have inventory left over for just that purpose.
  3. doboy macrumors 68000

Jul 6, 2007
    It doesn't matter if they still make it cause they have refurb units for replacements or they may just repair your old one.
  4. TasheRAWR macrumors regular

Sep 17, 2015
    London, United Kingdom
    This happened to me and I hope you have either Apple Care or live in a country with good consumer laws!

If you are lucky it's possible for the red exclamation mark of death to go away with a couple of hard resets but sadly if that doesn't work there is nothing they can do as it's basically bricked the device. Once that happens the only option is a replacement which if out of warranty they will most likely try to charge you for unless they are being nice. I suggest you see what rights you have if you are out of warranty.

I was lucky enough that members here helped me by telling me about the consumer law rights in the U.K. so I was able to get a free replacement as before Apple were trying to charge me for the replacement.
  5. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Jul 12, 2016
    Apple won't send you a Series 1 or 2. They will send you a Gen 1 Watch, being that's what you own currently.