Will my AppleTV play a 1264 x 528 file?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by brobins, Dec 2, 2008.

1. brobins macrumors member

Hey,

Last night I started a huge 1080p convert off in Handbrake for AppleTV.. The thing is I have set the Output resolution at 1264 x 528 Anamorphic Loose as at 1280 there seemed to be thin white lines on the edges.. It has just occured to me that this file may not even play haha, It has another 17 hours left so I am just checking now, if it wont I will stop it and restart :rolleyes:

Cheers

2. Volante macrumors regular

3. brobins thread starter macrumors member

Nope :)

Do you know if my AppleTv will play a 1264 x 528 file?

Many Thanks

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP19

enjoy...

5. brobins thread starter macrumors member

Thanks,

I am however aware of the Technical Specifications that Apple have published, although they dont seem to offer all the information I am looking for. i.e. someone on this very forum posted saying they have a 1016 x 548 movie playing on Apple Tv - Nowhere on the Apple site does it say anything about that resolution being supported?

If no one knows the answer to my question, so be it, only a matter of time will tell ha, 17h to be exact! :)

Cheers

6. kolax macrumors G3

Any resolution will play as long as it isn't over 1280x720.

It'll just upscale your movie to an output of 720p.

7. Volante macrumors regular

It should play it, as long as you are using the apple tv-preset. However, I would suggest that you don't use anamorphic settings on HD movies. Also, try to leave croping out next time, or crop to correct width/height next time. 1280x544 in this case.

8. brobins thread starter macrumors member

Hey, Thanks for your reply..

I am actually using the iphone preset with the bitrate turned upto 5000 and 2 audio tracks, I read that this was compatible?

what problems can using anamorphic settings cause with HD content just out of interest?

Thanks

9. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

You probably understand by now that the resolutions published in the specs are maximum resolutions. Any lower resolution, as long as it also meets the framerate and bitrate specs, etc, should play fine.

10. kolax macrumors G3

Why did you quote me?

I made it obvious that 720p is the "maximum" resolution. The OP asked if any resolution (below 720p) would play.

Thought I was clear enough, oh well.

11. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Sorry, I was just trying to emphasize that framerate and bitrate were also important in determining whether a particular file will play, like how the :apple:TV will only play 1280x720 at 24FPS or less, but will play lower resolutions at higher frame rates. I thought some people may not know that, and think from your post that any 1280x720 file should play. Again, sorry if this was confusing or unnecessary.

12. brobins thread starter macrumors member

now now lol..

just an update, yeah it worked a treat! thanks for all your info

cheers