Price Advice Will my base 15'' MBPr be worth $1000 after in two years?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eminemead, Mar 4, 2013.

1. eminemead macrumors newbie

I'm new to the macworld.
    How do you guys think the resale value of a base 15'' MBPr in two years from now.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It's hard to say exactly, given that we don't know what improvements or new features will come with future versions, but I think $1000 is pretty safe for a like-new 15" retina in a couple of years.

It might be worth taking a look on Ebay or similar for what 15" MBPs from two years ago are selling for now.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It should but we really don't know the future so its really a guess.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Yes. It will. But after 2 years of hyperinflation, $1000 will only buy a small Latte at Starbucks. :eek:

I find Apple gear retains value better than almost any other tech gear. I bought a top of the line HP laptop about 6 months before buying an iPad 1 for less than 1/4 the cost. The purchase was mandated by my daughter's school. Somebody must have been getting a kickback. After 2 years, the HP laptop was worth $50 but my iPad 1 was still worth closer to $300. So something that started out costing 4 times more was worth 1/6 as much! Ouch! I recently replaced my iPad 1 with an iPad mini and I expect it will retain much of its value despite being at the bottom of the iPad food chain.

I replaced a 2008 white Macbook with a late 2011 15 in HIRES MBP. I see Macbooks still selling for $300-500 even though I paid just over $1000 for mine close to 5 years ago. Now that's retaining value.

One thing that could undermine the value of your rMBP is if Apple comes out with something a whole lot better. Apple recently lowered the price for rMBP and that can also hurt. But these losses are still minor compared to the bleeding you do if you buy a non-Apple product and try to turn it into cash after 1 to 2 years.

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Probably, if not less.

A1260 Macbooks that retailed for $2k were lucky to catch over $750 in 2010.

A1286 2009 model Unibodies with an upgrade to an anti-glare LCD and 8 GB of memory went on eBay for $900 in 2011.

Keeping in mind that you can't upgrade anything on the Retina, I believe its value will go down at the same rate as other Apple laptops.

6. Efrem macrumors member

You don't even have to wait two years to get your $1,000. I'll give you that much for it RIGHT NOW! :D

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh

While I typically sell my laptops every 1-2 years, I've never understood why anyone would buy a consumer electronic and worry about the resale value.

It's sure as hell not going to go up, right?

8. kensic macrumors 6502

lets just say early /mid 2011 are selling for 1000-1400 everyday on ebay

it is safe to say your machine will be atleast 1000$, keep it clean, keep original documents/box.

9. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Well, if Apple starts releasing hardware faster, then it won't just be a 2 year old model, it may be 3 or 4 product revisions old. Apple maintained it's resale value because the changes came slow. If they crank them out like Dell, it'll be worth less than the current averages.

10. Hoko222 macrumors newbie

It will absolutely be worth $1,076.24. But that's only if you sell it exactly 2 years from today's date. If sold on a different day, all bets are off!