Will my Car explode?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 7on, Mar 9, 2010.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Should I be safe driving this home or should I look into alternative methods of transport?

It drove fine going 3 miles to work from the accident scene but I'm worried that 20miles @ 65mph might not bode me well.

Attached Files:

2. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I would recommend asking a local garage and not an online Apple community. This is yours and, more importantly, other people's safety we're talking about here.

3. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

The car is not legal as there is no passenger headlight or signal light. Sorry.

And it would not explode.

4. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Yes

Your car WILL explode.

kidding, but that sucks! I had a saturn just like that, but Green, that got totaled. Yours looks fine to drive, but hey, I'm no mechanic.

If you are to drive it, make sure that you rip off any loose pieces that could fall off and be a hazard to other drivers. And be aware that you can get pulled over for your turn signal and light looking like that (probably not functional).

5. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

The light definitely doesn't work. But I still need to get it to a garage. And knowing that it won't explode will help me decide whether or not to call a tow service.

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

You risk something flying off the car and hitting someone at 65MPH. That is the concern, not your car exploding.

Take it to a shop ASAP. Your insurance company should in theory provide you with alternate transportation until this is fixed.

Edit: No need to tow it. But I do recommend taking local roads instead of the expressway.

7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

This. The car may very well be drivable, but at 65MPH you're definitely going to cause more damage and risk pieces flying off and hitting other motorists.

8. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Ok, would you recommend me turning my hazards on?

9. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

Why bother asking if you're only going to listen to the advice you want to hear? Your vehicle is illegal and will endanger your life and the life of others.

10. iOrlando macrumors 68000

do you live in america?

that car should never have been moved from the accident scene for insurance and police purposes.

that car should be nowhere but a garage.

call a towtruck and dont even get into the car.

11. iowamensan macrumors 6502

Just tear off the loose pieces and drive it home in the daylight.. I've seen cars in much worse shape on the road.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Once the police write up a report they do not care any more. They are happy as soon as it is out of the steet. Insurance only wants the police report. The time it gets towed is if it no longer can move under it's own power.

As for the op yu could have problems with you radiator and you do have a lot of exposed wires and parts of you car not designed to deal with the wind or other elements.
    Personly I say drive it on the side streets to where you want to get it repaired and get a rental from there. A lot of repair place have a rental place next to them

13. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

A little duct tape and some elbow grease and she'll be good as new :)
    seriously though, how fast were you going when you hit? from your pic, it doesn't look like that frame took a bad enough hit to atleast keep you from getting home, although I wouldn't recommend driving w/ out that headlight I you have to go home at night. Just make sure you get it to a garage soon.

14. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Just an update: it got towed and the other guy's insurance is footing the bill as well as a rental car. Whew, a stressful 24 hours.

15. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    If it makes you feel any better someone hit my car last Monday...

[​IMG]

16. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

is that a BMW 328i????????????:eek::eek::eek::eek: grgh...........i would be mad..

17. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I wound up scraping an old ladys car doing that kind of damage when the tie rods in my trucks steering proved how worn they were. Add to that the fact it turned out the other driver was deaf. OH **** my ASL wasn't very good at the time.

18. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Hard to tell from the camera angle, but it's a 116i M Sport 3 door hatchback, I don't think you have them in the States? Maybe wrong but someone told me that you only have the 5 door, the coupe, and the convertible there..

Funnily enough we think it was the lower bumper on the back of a truck that done this while it was parked on the side of a busy main road :mad: :D

I got it fixed, looks perfect again. Had to pay out my own pocket though :cool: