Will my existing Thunderbolt 1 devices have issues w/ Thunderbolt 3?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HaddockW, Aug 4, 2017.

1. HaddockW macrumors newbie

I am getting a 2016 MBR Pro. I am replacing a 2013 15" early retina. I have lots of accessories - Drobo 5D, a few Lacie Drives, the sea gate bolt sleds, east a, Ethernet dongles, and a caldigit thunderbolt station. After researching all the USB-c and Tbolt 3 issues, I am gonna hold off on a tbolt 3 dock. Right now, I just need Ethernet and mini-DisplayPort daisy chain to a Cinema Display. I figure I get the USB-C tbolt to tbolt 2 adapter and use my existing Caldigit Thunderbolt dock. It wont have pass through charging so I will be using 2 ports. The other 2 ports can be open to hubs or DisplayPort adapter once I go 4K. Any issues?

USBC/toTbolt2 adapter to-> Caldigit -> Apple 21" iMac as Thunderbolt Display daisy chain -> to mini-DP Cinema Display. Doable? I don't get my MacBook until next week.

2. dyn macrumors 68030

You mean TB3 to TB1/2 adapter ;) That one will work fine with TB1, TB2 and TB3 devices and computers. I used it to connect my old TB1 dock from CalDigit when I was waiting for the new CalDigit TS3 to arrive. Both docks work fine, the single cable solution to charge and connect everything is rather nice.

I'm not sure what you are doing with the iMac in this equation; seems to be completely unnecessary since you can simply connect the Cinema Display to the HDMI or secondary Thunderbolt port (by using an adapter to mini-DisplayPort (DVI-mDP or VGA-mDP).

3. HaddockW thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

iMac is old and being used as a monitor in display mode. YOu can turn old iMacs into just displays when the hardware gets outdated using a keyboard command and plugging via thunderbolt cable. So I have an 3rd display.

4. dyn macrumors 68030

Ah, that wasn't in your first post, there was suddenly an iMac in your diagram so I wondered what it was for. If you intend to use it as a display then simply treat it as one. These TB3 docks have 1 DisplayPort connection and the second display needs to be connected to the second TB3 port on it. I don't know what will happen with an iMac in target display mode running over a Thunderbolt connection or if it even uses Thunderbolt in that case.

5. HaddockW thread starter macrumors newbie

So far everything works. I may get another dongle.