Carrier Will my GSM iPhone 7 work in Korea?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ahostmadsen, Sep 16, 2016.

1. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

So, the T-mobile/AT&T iPhone has an inferior modem that does not support CDMA. I know that Korea is (mostly) CDMA. But are there still some carriers the GSM iPhone 7 can connect to, even at lower speed? I often travel to Korea, so this is important to me.

Why did Apple do this? To save a few dollars by playing Intel and Qualcomm out against each other?

2. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

3. patrickbarnes macrumors regular

CDMA != LTE.

Weird misconception going on regarding the different radios.

4. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

AT&T/T-Mobile iPhone 7 is the exact same model will be sold in S. Korea. They don't use CDMA(2G) network anymore.

5. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think this page is complete. For example, I have used my iPhone 5s in Korea. Since I got it through T-mobile, it is presumably model Model A1533. But according to that page, it should not work in Korea at all. The page states "For a list of carriers that have certified their LTE network on iPhone, refer to chart below1. Many more carriers may also offer LTE on iPhone." (my emphasis).

I don't know if it's just the frequencies that count. Last time in Korea I used SK Telcom, which has 850/1800/2100 MHz LTE. So, just because the GSM iPhone supports those frequencies, does it also mean it will work in Korea?