Will my iMac Core i3 become obsolete in 2 years

Discussion in 'iMac' started by austinlallen, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. austinlallen macrumors member

Hi!!!!

Im just wondering if my iMac will be obsolete in 2 years.

After Reseach i found that apple kinda ends support for their products too fast!!

I really don't know when my iMac core i3 will be usable

Thanks for replies

2. simsaladimbamba

No, as even my 2007 iMac is still supported and even older models.

Where did you read that anyway?

3. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

4. simsaladimbamba

Maybe, but the OP seems to be ahead of Apple's planned obsolescence of all their products and wants to sell his or her iMac now.
    I would link to a thread or two, but they are already gone.

5. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

They just now ended support for powerpc programs with Lion, and this is a full 6-7 years later after their switch to intel. Assuming they switch from intel to say amd tomorrow, perhaps it would be another 6-7 years until your i3 becomes 'obsolete.' That is, if they ever do switch from intel.

6. seniorgeek macrumors member

If it continues to do what you need it to do, it will never be obsolete.

7. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Been running on a PowerMac G5 until last week, now seven full years old before losing Apple support. My early 1999 iMac was upgradeable to OS 10.2.8 and I replaced in 2005 after six years of dedicated service. My G4 mini is still being used as a browser/ mail station in the Maine cabin.. circa summer 2005 but is stuck in Leopard forever. I intentionally waited for the Sandy Bridge chipset and chose the i7 quad mini for my latest upgrade, as multi-thread multi-core performance intel chips are new enough that I expect to have many productive years ahead for the new Mac mini.

Performance wise, your i3 has been obsolete since six months after its release.:eek:

If you've ever tried to put something new on a customer's old pc still running Windows 2000, you would agree with me that certain things were not meant to last forever, computers and operating systems being one of these. But Apple makes computers that are reliable and outlive their usefulness in my experience, which is a positive thing.

8. sumone macrumors regular

You took the words out of my mouth ;)

To OP depends on what you mean. In the title you ask will it be obsolete which I interpreted to mean will it be outdated tech but in your post you asked will it be supported. Apple doesn't end support for their products that soon heck if you get Applecare don't they have to support the computer for a good three years. So support should't be a problem. However, might it be dated tech? Quite possibly. Apple does like to be on top of the latest (although they did hang on to C2D for quite awhile and took a bit to switch to intel) but yeah in two years your iMac may seem behind in the tech. However, as seniorgeek said if it does what you need it to do it shouldn't matter.

9. blunti macrumors 6502a

obsolete? for emails/browsing/forums and for the avarage things you do on it, this thing will never become "obsolete"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. 32gb3gwifi macrumors member

i was wondering when apple discontinues support you can't even go to an apple store for help or repair? so if your old ppc computer needs a new hdd apple won't even look at it? please correct me if I'm wrong.

11. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

And thanks for making a new thread with similar title and content, and same OP too .. wonder why not just continue the old one? Did your old thread become obsolete too? In 2 hours? :eek:

I don't know about Intel core-i future dude, but your threads should be obsolete faster than i3 :p

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OP, please use the thread you created regarding your iMac and whether to buy a new one or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.