Will my iMac slow down?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by burhed, Aug 24, 2007.

1. burhed macrumors newbie

I got my first Mac last week and have been using for about 6 days now. It is really quite nice and it's been easy to figure out. After using PC's all my life it's been easier than I expected.

Now when I switch to my PC it annoys me how slow my PC can be. My PC is about 5 years old, Win XP, 80 gig, 256ram, 128 video (i think). Of course when it was new it seemed really fast. Now after a few years it seems like a clunker. It chugges away just switching between windows. I think I take decent care of it; no viruses, no spyware, plenty of space on hd, no uneeded programs and run defrag regularly.

My question is will this eventually happen to my iMac? The iMac flyies right now, but will it still be like this in a few years? Assuming of course I take good care of it.

2. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

my eMac still flies and never ever slows down....its been the same speed since i got it....windows is completely different

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I think it was your expectations back in the day that your pentium pc was so fast, you had never used anything like it.

The iMac is light-years ahead of that PC.

After a year or 2, if things do start to slow down, I'd do a refresh of OS X.

With Leopard coming around the corner, maybe you won't need to do that.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

it will, but not to the extend of windows pc with alot of booting objects. Generally, I felt more patches slow down system more.

windows XP with 256MB RAM? im sorry, thats too small, its like OSX Tiger with 256MB RAM, they can NOT run well at all, so your problem with windows probably is not from the OS, but from the lacking of sufficient memory. (plug another 256MB, to 512 in total, it will be much faster.)

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Just add more RAM (its easy and cheap). In about 4 years you'll still be able to use your iMac for day to day activities. Macs generally get a good 5 years or so of use before the software requirements push well out of reach.