Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrismac00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
not having service any where? I have the iPhone 3G in white and my sister has the old iPhone and she gets three bars at my house and I get NO SERVICE. My battery also lasts less than half the day and I don't have 3G or Wi Fi on and I don't use it for more than two hours.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Nobody can say with certainty what a Genius will do in an Apple store, but I'd guess that presented with those facts, you're likely to get a replacement.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
not having service any where? I have the iPhone 3G in white and my sister has the old iPhone and she gets three bars at my house and I get NO SERVICE. My battery also lasts less than half the day and I don't have 3G or Wi Fi on and I don't use it for more than two hours.
Bitch and whine works in this case. So go into an Apple store and they will likely exchange the phone for you.

chrismac00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
Do you get any EDGE coverage (turn of 3G to find out)? If yes, then you are fine.

Otherwise, yes, they will replace it.

TEG

Well I bought the 3G for a reason, so I need 3G, but both don't work. ANd sometimes when I switch back I have to restart my phone a couple of times so I can get service.

ttech10

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2008
Do you get any EDGE coverage (turn of 3G to find out)? If yes, then you are fine.

Otherwise, yes, they will replace it.

TEG

What's the use then? You pay for 3G but can't use it? Doesn't make sense.

That's like paying for HD channels and only having an old 1980s TV. You're paying for something you get no use of.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
What's the use then? You pay for 3G but can't use it? Doesn't make sense.

That's like paying for HD channels and only having an old 1980s TV. You're paying for something you get no use of.

But he doesn't indicate if he is even in a 3G coverage area, so it may have just been a tower problem.

TEG

ttech10

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2008
But he doesn't indicate if he is even in a 3G coverage area, so it may have just been a tower problem.

TEG

Yea, but I was assuming that he had 3G... thus him buying the 3G. I could be wrong though.

I mean, we didn't have 3G for about 1 1/2 months after it came out and I felt jipped by still having to pay for 3G usage. Of course, I just wanted the new one badly and didn't want to wait those few weeks with my old 2G one.

chrismac00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
I got my iPhone 3G replaced!

It works very well and I'm 100% happy.

The reason I don't use 3G is because it isn't available in my area but I sometimes go to areas with 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.