Will my iPhone4 ever be untethered jailbreakable?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 2manystoleniPns, Jan 7, 2011.

1. 2manystoleniPns macrumors newbie

I loved my jailbroken iPhone4 with customised UI, fancy themes and blue backlit keyboard (I have an obsession with blue backlighting... years ago the nokia 8250 was like heaven for me!) however some b'tard who was supposed to be a 'friend' stole it. My replacement shipped with 4.2.1 software.

We were promised an untethered jailbreak by Christmas but there's been little word since on that one. The new workaround or plan b requires SHSH blob files from the 4.1 firmware that obviously, I don't have. I've heard that even Comex's eventual release may require these.

Furthermore I'm running a Windows PC and have no access to a Mac.

Furthermore I'm a total noob at this stuff. When I jailbroke my stolen (the one stolen FROM me, I didn't steal it) it was easy. I used Limera1n and followed a YouTube tutorial. I don't understand any of the terms I'm reading and don't even know what an SHSH or blob file is or how to extract one. I'm fairly computer savvy but only on a PC running a Windows OS.

Any hope or advice?

Sorry if I sound stupid, if I posted out of place or if there is a thread already dealing with this. Like I said, total n00b to this.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, it will be untethered down the road.
    When exactly, noone knows.
    Sit back and wait like everyone else.

3. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

We were not promised anything by Christmas or any other date.

Wait patiently.

There are a lot of threads about this, each one with the same question and the same replies.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

that's like asking Will humans will ever be able to walk on Mars or Travel on time? ... the answer is No one knows.... is people working on it? Yes...Ton of people. Will they ever achieve it? There is no possible way to know that. All we can do is wait and chill out.

5. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

It seems to be getting harder and harder for the "devs" to crack this nut. I wouldn't hold your breath. You can do a tethered jailbrake, though, on 4.2.1 (which is what I've done). It will have to do until/if an untethered JB comes out.

FWIW, my jailbrake did not go smoothly, so I wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart...

6. noiceT macrumors 6502a

If you're super desperate, why not try out the tethered jb?
    Obviously don't do it if you're going on a trip or something, but if you got a free weekend where you will be close to home or your pc, try it out.

Realistically, how many times have you let your battery die?

And, in regards to rebooting and such, just try and limit those types of things to when you're at home, and not away. Just the price to pay for being tethered.

Then after all that, if you still hate it. Restore to stock. You have nothing to lose, you're stuck at 4.2.1 regardless.

7. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

The second it's ready I'm sure it will be all over these forums. All we can do is wait... nobody knows when Comex will have it ready/release it.

8. crazycanucks macrumors regular

Seriously another thread? There should be a ban on these stupid threads. If you need info on this, go to teh iphone dev team, blog or twitter.

9. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Getting back on topic...im curious what the problem is. Did Comex ever tweet any specific on the issue?

I assumed it was some little bug that he wouldn't be able to get ironed out by Christmas but it's already Jan 7th so It seems like it's something major he's run into.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

He is not able to package the install, it keeps breaking other stuff. He have been debugging and trying different ways to package it.

11. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

if people really, really want/need to jailbreak 4.2.1 they'll just have to settle for tethered for now. It's a pain to set up but once you're done installing your tweaks and what not and you don't need to reboot your phone all the time it's really not that inconvenient.

12. 2manystoleniPns thread starter macrumors newbie

Very interesting the different types of replies I've received here. Now I'm more confused than ever.

There's too many of you to quote so here's the breakdown:

Some people said just to be patient as it's only a matter of time.
    Other people said Comex MAY have run into a major problem and it may not be possible untethered (combination of a couple of answers).

Plenty of people basically called me stupid and impatient (at least that's how I took it). I wonder if they read the full post where I said that my research has told me that it may only be possible for those people with saved SHSH files. I just wanted to know if there was something I'd missed which gives genuine hope to people who don't have those files.

The reason I posted this in the first place is because I AM considering a tethered jailbreak if it's going to be months or never before an untethered is possible for my phone.

To the person who said we were not promised it before christmas I am referring the fairly famous quote on twitter where someone said all they wanted for Christmas was an untethered jailbreak. Comex replied "You'll get it".

Like I said, I'm a noob to all this so perhaps someone could explain to me how I'd go about 'trialling' a tethered jailbreak. How would I go about removing the jailbreak and how stable or reliable are the tethered version/s for 4.2.1? Is redsn0w the best version around?

13. Davvido, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

Davvido macrumors regular

Davvido

Use redsn0w 0.9.6rc8. It's stable and doesn't remove any features (like redsn0w 0.9.7b4 and untethered jailbreak do). I've used it since its release and I can certainly say that everything work fine. Be honest - how often do you reboot your iPhone? I did it once or twice after jailbreak process (Mobile Substrate and several other tweaks need reboot) and that's it. Now my phone's uptime is just growing. :)