Will my ISP pitch a fit if I upload tons of stuff?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Moof1904, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I have AT&T uVerse and they supposedly do not throttle. I have the fastest connection package (10 megabit). I also own my own domain and the company I host it with just implemented an unlimited storage policy for people who pay a year at a time.

So, I'm considering using Retrospect to back up an encrypted copy of my home server to the FTP site associated with my hosted domain. The thing is, it's nearly 600 gigs of data and then a nightly incremental backup would probably be 500 megs to a gig each night incrementing the backup.

Is uploading 600 gigs in one chunk to my FTP site and then incrementing by 0.5 to 1 gig each night too much of an insane amount?

New information: I just read the terms of service from my hosting company and they say: "* You understand and agree that shared server space is for business and personal website operations only hosted by xxx and not for unrelated data storage."

That kinds kills my idea. It would be tough to argue that 640 gigs of online material was necessary to support my dinkly little three page web site...

2. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Yeah they do and it most likely will. Check out this link to their new policy (arstechnica.com). You might be able to sneak the 500MB/night by but they will have a problem with the 600GB. Besides, it's going to be pointless to try and upload the 600GB initially; you simply don't have the bandwidth because while your downstream is 10mb, your upstream is only 1.5mb which means it will take at least 39 days, assuming your fully saturate your connection 24/7, to upload the initial dump. By that point, assuming 500MB nightly, you've already built up a backlog of about 19GB of new data. You would be much better off getting one or more 1.5TB drives and hooking them up to the backup system and, if you need something offsite, stick one in a safe deposit box.

3. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Well it will take a long long time, think of it this way, I have AT&T and the fastest speed they can give me 6mb down and 768kb up. That would take 9 days for 600gb, and thats if it ran at full speed the entire time and if I did my math correctly. The only way to find out if its too much is to try.

4. bombboy macrumors regular

bombboy

Uverse is up to 18 mbps... That's what I have ;)

As for caps, there are none. Just go ahead and try whatever it is and if you get a letter let us know.

5. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow. I thought AT&T's highest was 10. Darn. Now I have something else to lust for.

Yes, doing the math shows that I'll never be able to keep up with the data generated with a 1.5 upload speed.

I'll be better off spending $150 on an external 1T drive and keeping that in my safe deposit box.

6. bombboy macrumors regular

bombboy

That actually sounds far more secure than sending packets. Good luck.