Will my Mac 4,1 use this RAM???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by logancircle2, Jun 8, 2016.

1. logancircle2 macrumors newbie

logancircle2

Dear expert, please help this newb determine whether this RAM will work with my machine? I ignorantly used a 1333 instead of a 1066 and fried my power supply, but now it's back up doing video again. Thanks!!! RAM order.jpg MAC 41.png

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

The specs look okay to me.

This doesn't make any sense. 1333 ram is perfectly fine in a 2009, many people use it, and it certainly wouldn't have fried your power supply.

3. h9826790, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016

h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

ActionableMango is right, 1333MHz can't fire anything. It just doesn't make any sense. The RAM stick may able to fire your CPU tray if it's seriously faulty and short some circuits. However, it's extremely hard to fire the PSU by the RAM stick. The PSU can supply 980W, the RAM stick can only draw ~5W (not even 1% that the PSU can supply). And the RAM is not directly connected to the PSU. The RAM have to fire the CPU tray, and then the logic board, and then all the way to the PSU. If your PSU is fired by the RAM stick, I don't think you can bring it back (at least not just by replace / fix the PSU).

Anyway, those RAM spec looks good to me. Should work as expected.

4. logancircle2 thread starter macrumors newbie

logancircle2

Thanks, y'all! I Needed some extra oomph for video work, and it looks like these RAM sticks will work. Happy computing!

5. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

Your CPU supports 1333 DDR3. I agree with the others that your memory did´t blew your PSU: