Will my Mac run 64bit?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by deyno1903, May 27, 2011.

1. deyno1903 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the Mac and would like to know if it will run in 64 bit mode?? I don't want to try and boot in 64 bitr mode incase I mess something up?? How do I check to see if it will and have the right drivers, etc?? Below is a shot of my system.

[​IMG]

2. omvs macrumors 6502

Short answer: Yes for any modern mac (Core 2 Duo, i3, i5, i7) - you don't need to do anything.

There might be confusion because it used to be that OSX was running a 32bit kernel by default on most machines -- might even still be the case. However, you can still run 64bit programs and use >32GB of ram with the 32bit kernel (unlike linux or windows). I know because my old hackintosh was using the 32bit kernel, but the system addressed 8GB and ran 64bit binaries just fine.

If you're doing a lot of big memory work though, I'd buy more RAM. I'm using 12GB in my rig, which allows me to have a 4GB virtual windows machine and plenty of other stuff open without issues.

3. BlueSchizz macrumors newbie

witch such specs how come you have doubts about 64 bit

4. ZeD X macrumors regular

Yes, it will.

Anything from Core 2 Duo or better will run.

You just need to use this application.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Run Activity Monitor, choose All Processes in the top-right and look for kernel_task. If it says "Intel (64 bit)" in the Kind column then you're running in 64-bit. This is the default on new systems.