Will my MacBook die?

Kutyasha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2020
Hello! I apologize in advance for my English, I'm from Russia. The fact is that I poured a little water into my MacBook Pro 13 "2019. Quite a bit, about 50 milliliters. She touched the speaker and several keys. I immediately turned the laptop over, wiped it off with napkins and put it in a warm place, in the open position down the keyboard. After 5 hours I tried to turn on the macbook, everything works fine as before. What do you advise me to do? The fact is that at the moment I don’t have the money to contact for repair, my warranty does not cover such cases. Should I worry? Can the problem come after some time? who had such an experience, please share it. I turned to this forum, because I did not find the information in our "Russian Internet"))

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California
Hello! I apologize in advance for my English, I'm from Russia. The fact is that I poured a little water into my MacBook Pro 13 "2019. Quite a bit, about 50 milliliters. She touched the speaker and several keys. I immediately turned the laptop over, wiped it off with napkins and put it in a warm place, in the open position down the keyboard. After 5 hours I tried to turn on the macbook, everything works fine as before. What do you advise me to do? The fact is that at the moment I don’t have the money to contact for repair, my warranty does not cover such cases. Should I worry? Can the problem come after some time? who had such an experience, please share it. I turned to this forum, because I did not find the information in our "Russian Internet"))
If you haven’t experienced any problems, you might be in the clear, though water can cause rusting that causes problems eventually. I would keep the machine off and in a warm place for a day or so.

profcutter

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2019
Do you have a dehumidifier? I would get your computer on the dehumidifier as soon as possible. Folks have tried to put their computer in rice, I’m not sure that’s a great idea

darkmatter343

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Well, on the bright side it was only water and not a sugar drink. I would advise to let the laptop dry for another full day before using it, just to let any water evaporate. I've had a Macbook Air drink a glass a red wine, still worked great but the sugar wrecked the keyboard so I had to replace the keyboard. I haven't opened a new MBP yet but if you can, I might suggest taking the back plate off and disconnecting the battery while it's drying. If you don't feel comfortable doing that then don't! but at the very least I'd suggest letting it dry for another day before using it.